THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

just how easy/hard is unscrewing a barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to change barrel on more than one rifle, my local "gunsmith" has never done anything like this before and won't take the job...you begin to understand something about where I live...

So I was wondering if it is something I can do myself. From what I can gether it would be a matter or blocking the barrel(I understand a barrel vice device exist?) and twisting it out of the threading action, then the new barrel should be installed inthe same manner, operationin reverse to a determined torque.

Is it much more difficult than this and best to ship the rifle away to someone competent for the job?

Thanks

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
What rifle? A Savage 110 is easier than a M1917 for example. If you are not prepared to spend the time and money to necessary acquire the proper tools and skills, it's best to send the rifles off to someone competent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It still has to be headspaced so better to ship it to someone..

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that you have the basics. You need an action vice and an action wrench to unscrew the old barrel and then to install the new one. Installing the new barrel is probably where you're going to encounter some difficulty. the barrel needs to be timed properly with the receiver, and on top of that, you're going to need headspace guages in the particular caliber to ensure that you've properly set headspace.

Provided that you have the necessary tools, I don't really think that the job would be too difficult, but as far as cost, by the time you purchase or make these tools, you would have been better off to send the action out to be rebarreled in the first place.

You should probably just send the action to a gunsmith.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS, you will need head space gauges to check that the head space is correct. On some rifles there is a good chance that it will be but you DO NEED to have it checked. The downside is you could blow up the acion if the headspace is excessive.

Unscrewing the barrel requires a barrel vice and usually with shims to fit the cylinder section of the barrel. I think at last count, I have over 30 of them. The wrench itself has to fit the action well or you can spring it, making it so much waste metal.

Your choice, but I think I would find someone with the tools who knows how to use them.

I like this conversation much more, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol well I got some photos via e-mail of home made reciever and barrel clamps, made from automobile main bearing caps and some good instructions which make it sound like something I could try in my dirty little, messy workshop.

But I fear that even though it doesn't sound too hard, my workshop might reflect the quality of job I might make of it...little...messy...dirty...

There are some very good gunsmiths in the north so I'll just send it up to them.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor bought an action vice and and a wrench or two. He changes barrels all the time, that part seems to be relatively easy. He does have some problems with barrel timing but looks don't seem to bother him. The one that makes me go hmmmmmmmmm, is that he doesn't have a lot of concern for headspace. I don't shoot next to him on a firing line and I wouldn't buy anything used from him. With that being said he's gotten some really accurate barrels that were take offs from other factory guns. I don't condone these practices however.

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not hard to get them off.I just popped one off of a Rem 700 at the shop today after work.A 22" 4-jaw chuck and a tapered brass sleeve makes a great barrel vise.I made an action wrench that slides in from the back,with a pilot that rides in a bushing in a 3/4" drill chuck in the tailstock.This keeps everything in line and prevents twisting the reciever. Like the other guys have said, the hard part is getting another one on properly,but it's easy to get them off.

[ 05-14-2003, 07:24: Message edited by: rembo ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote