New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 7 SS Your critique
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about to get one soon a Model 7 SS and I wondered what you think of them, the good bad and ugly. Thanks, Bear

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A shooter at our local rifle club looked like he was peppered on the face. I asked him what happened? He told me that he thought he was loading 4895 in his 308 Rem #7 BUT he threw a full load of Bulleye instead. The little rifle held together, the shooter had some powder burns to his face, but that rifle held. The rifle was ruined, but you know he wrote Remington a letter thanked them for a strong rifle. Remington told him to send them the scrapped rifle,and he did. Remington thanked him for being honest about the whole thing and sent him a brand new Stainless Remington #7...Neat little rifle.

Posts: 9 | Location: So.Cal. | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 308 with an Ashley Scout rail and sights for a while. It shot well when the action screws were tight, but groups opened up as they shot loose. The rifle was short, light and easy to shoot well, but I got rid of it because my wife saw a news report on Remington triggers once and asked me not to have them around. Slick rifle, though. Too bad Winchester doesn't make something similar. Also, keep a toothbrush handy to clean under the extractor. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one in the 7mm SAUM. He asked me to glass bed it,mount the scope and break it in for him. Dam the things we do for friends! Nice handling light rifle. This one shoots under 1 in groups with factory ammo. Don't like the crapy bottom metal and really hate that stupid bolt lock. After hearing about all the feeding problems the short fat cases were having I was pleasantly surprized at how slick this rifle fed from the magazine.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I own a ss model 7 in 7mm-08 and is one of my favorit rifles to carry. It has a Leupold compact 3-9x silver to match. Only thing I might change would be the ss finish to a matte black finish with a matte compact 3-9x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with quite a few Rem Mod7's in calibers 223,243,6mm,308, all regular production, and a 350RM from the custom shop. Some of these have been wood stocks, most of the 308,s were in the green fiberglass stocks they made for a while. I have shot one of the SS Mod 7's in 308 quite a bit and my wife hunts with a blue steel mos 7 in the black plastic stock. [A "good" customer of this particular wanted a SS with the wood laminated stock and the store switched it out for him, I came into the store a few days later and immediately scooped it up for her [Big Grin] ]
I have never had any problems with any Mod 7 [except feeding problems with the 350RM].
I have seen about 15 or so shot quite a bit, all have been EXCELLENT shooters. Several of the 308,s have been shot at distances up to 600 yards.
Do not think for one minute your computer screen would be save at that distance. [This is by High power shooters that know how to "read" the wind.]
These Mod 7,s are one of my favorite rifles, they are light and accurate. Because they are so light they usually shoot best with a tight sling.
I do not like the newer black "plastic" stocks as well as the older green ones.
I held a new 300 short mag 673 today and while it felt nice it was a little heavier than my Mod 7 350RM from the custom shop.
In short I like them. [Wink]

[ 05-07-2003, 04:07: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gsp
I painted my SS Mod7. Krylon works great. You can paint the scope too, just tape up the lenses and the seals on the tube.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the blued version of the model 7 for quite a while. The first one I had sported an 18" barrel. That didn't seem to slow it down any. My son killed a large mulie at 284 long steps with it. One shot and the deer moved maybe 15feet. 140gr partition over some H4895. This past year I killed a large whitetail with a model 7. 154gr Horn RN over some more H4895. My experience with model 7"s has all been in 7-08 calibre. One would think that with the slender barrel and overall compactness, it would be hard to hold steady on target but I haven't found that to be true. I think you will like the piece.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an older one that I bought second-hand. It had the 18 inch barrel, and was a 7mm-08. Someone had put a timmy trigger on it. Shot very well. Cronographed Remington 140 grain green box at 2750 fps average for 10 shots. Also the previous owner had put a one inch recoil pad on it for length. A friend of mine just had to have it. He still has it and hunts Mule Deer in west texas with it. Likes the light weight because at 70 he is slowing down a bit. The winchester model 70 compact is simular, and has a thick 20 inch barrel. But also needs a recoil pad for length.