Find
Notify
Tools

Ever heard of a 6.5 X 30-30?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
Don't ask me why but I have a buddy who wants to build a 6.5 wildcat based on the 30-30 case for his Encore.

Anybody ever hear of one?

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Sounds very similar to the .25 and 6mm Bullberry, so there is some precedence. It would be perfect (I think) in a Contender. I personally wouldn't want it in the heavier, bulkier Encore if I had the option of using the sleeker Contender.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I used to have a 6.5 Grassl Rimmed barrel for my contender. It is the 7mm Intl Rimmed necked down, which is a 30/30 w/ 38 degree shoulder. I was able to get 6.5 JDJ performance with a few less grains of powder, ie 120 gr @ 2400 fps from a 14" barrel.

The one problem I had was case head seperations, the brass would begin to sepperate after 3 firings, though this could have been due to the way the previous owner fireformed the cases.

Personally, if I was going to do it on an encore frame, I'd either go with a 260 rem for a factory round, or have a smith cut a 260 rem chamber w/ rim counterbore and longer neck for a 444 based 6.5. That way you can use 260 rem dies. The other option would be the 307 win necked down, ie a rimmed 260.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 BRM from E Author Brown products. "Improved" 30-30 which duplicates the 6.5JDJ(225 Win case). Have one in Brown's Mod 97 single shot rifle.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote