New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber depth help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Long story. I purchased a custom 338-06 Encore barrel from a long time manufacture. When I recieved the barrel I tried resizing 30-06 brass and ended up having misfires. The primers were getting dented but they seemed shallow. I then purchased an RCBS hand priming tool to control the primer depth better. I had less miss fires but there were still a few.
My next try was to purchase 06 ammo, take them apart all but the primer and resize the neck only. With this method I still got 10% missfires. I then went and purchased Weatherby 338-06 ammo, ouch! I still have 10 % missfires.

I put all my barrels side by side on the floorI slid a shell in each. All the other barrels had the rim of the shell case flush with the end of the barrel. The 338-06 was .003 underflush.

When I contacted the manufacturer he said he did not trust the case dimentions of the Weatherby brass, that I should fire-form the cases with a low level charge and then not full length resize.

I am sure this would work, but I would never be able to purchase over the counter ammo in a pinch.

How do I measure this chamber? If the neck is off, what are my options? If the manufacture will not take care of this after my research, then I will tell my story with the name included!

Thanks in advance for any help

Multiple Barrels
Same Trigger
Same Feel
Same Results

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have always used 35 whelen brass to make 338/06 cases. just neck size but leave a little bump at the base of the neck for a slight feel when the action is closed. never had any problems using this method. thumb

P.S. 338/06 A-Square brass dimentionally SUCKS!!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Single*Shot,
I experienced the same thing.

If you don't want to buy 35 Whelen, brass, you can expand the necks up to 357 (a 357 magnum pistol die would do), then form the "bumped shoulder" with the 338-06 sizer die backed way off.

With the barrel removed, keep trying the case in the barrel chamber & adjusting the 338-06 die down until you achieve 0.003" over flush.

The case shoulder will then be butted up correctly & will keep from mis-firing on first time brass.

Lock the die nut in & form all the other cases while you're at it...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Tips, If I stay with the barrel that will help. I am just a little dissmayed that the chamber isn't machined to the specification of production brass. I have multiple Encore barrels and they all fire factory loads and reloads without a hitch.

I guess I just wish there was away to get a proper measurement so I would have more facts during conversation with the builder.

Multiple Barrels
Same Trigger
Same Feel
Same Results

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
YOU MISSED MY POINT! A-SQUARE 338-06 BRASS IS CRAP! IT IS NOT MADE TO SPECS!! DO NOT JUDGE YOUR CHAMBER SIZE BE THIS CRAPPY BRASS!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can measure the relative length of your chamber with the Stoney Point headspace gauge and calipers.

You can measure relative to fired cases, unfired cases, headspace gauges, case that went click.

You could check the headsapce with standard 30-06 gauges.

Another test Iis to purchase a box of factory 30-06 ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and see if the primer fires. If you still get mis-fires, I would suspect headspace issues with the chamber.

I am going around in circles now with the same type problem with a Remington 700 factory 7-08.
New WW brass misfires 1/5. I just got my Stoney Point gauge and the new brass measures .002 to .003 under the go Gauge.

R/P brass measure .001 under the Go Gauge

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks for the comments. I do need to do something. Have any of you delt with Peter Cardora from Quality Cartridge? They make, load cartridges with properly headstamped cases. Empty brass runs 26 a box and loaded with premium projectiles 39 a box. Thanks Again,

Single*Shot

Multiple Barrels
Same Trigger
Same Feel
Same Results

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Trigger,
Glad to see you mention the Stoney Point system for I see a lot of people wondering what their chamber measurement is and with the Stoney Point it takes all the guess work out of the sitution and it is relatively cheap for all the info you can gain with it.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote