Find
Notify
Tools

recutting checkering
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I bought a pre-64 .270 today that is in good shape, not safe queen shape but not a donor either. Some bubba decided to refinish it and hit the checkering with sandpaper and I want to get it recut. With the borders being as thin as they are it seems to me it'd be easiest to get the checkering recut first then go from there. Any input welcomed on this before I get started. Thanks, Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Recutting checkering is not too much of a job. Get yourself a Brownells Full View checkering tool and a couple Dem-Bart No. 1 single line cutters. Have a good light and lots of patience and you can point up existing checkering pretty easily. A cradle helps, especially with wrap-around patterns but if you're patient you can get by with out it.

If you don't want to do it yourself send it to me and I'll recut it for you. If you're interested semd me a PM.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thankyou John, I considered doing it myself but my mind says do one thing and my hands the other at the moment. I'll send a pm. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know where Cascade, Montana is, but if you ever get up around Calgary, Alberta, you might want to look up Eddie Mech in the Calgary phone book (he lives in north Calgary). He does a very nice job of recutting checkering at a reasonable price. He also does pretty nice work turning the old Remington impressed checkering into real checkering.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recut checkering on several rifles. It takes time and patience, don't be in a hurry. It isn't that hard though just take your time.

I would suggest starting on a old stock you don't caare about the first time around though. It will give you a chance to get the feel of the cutter before you start woking on something you care about.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote