New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slicking up an over/under action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Beretta Whitewing 20 gage shotgun, and although I prolly have about 300 rounds through it, the action is very stiff on the opening and closing. I have to grasp the forend to close all the way or open all the way. Now I don't think the should just 'fling' open, or shut with just a flick of the wrist--but I would like it to be a lot less stiff than it is.

Just looking for suggestions--

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3000-5000 rounds ought to get it where you want it. Had to have my old Citori rebuilt a year and a half ago. Between dove, ducks, geese, skeet, trap and sporting clays, it's seen a few rounds. Lots of shooting is the sure way to get it slicked up. Use a good grease on the hinge and locking surfaces, in fact anywhere that it's making contact as it opens. Use a high quality oil, and very little of it, on the ejectors. You might be able to have someone lap the mating surfaces, or if you're brave enough do it yourself, but that's a somewhat risky procedure. Actually polishing might be a better term than lapping.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S.

I bought a new Citori XT trap gun several years back. Put probably bout 10,000 or so rounds through it and was just starting to loosen up nicely. Takes some wearing in on these lower end guns. If you want slick, you have to step up to a "K" gun.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
You just stick with your Beretta and get hold of Ponsness-Warren reloaders and get some STOS.
slicker than owl shit is what it stands for and it works. Use sparingly

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, guys, I do wish I could shoot it more, but that ain't in the cards for a while at least. I looked at some Weatherby shotguns a week or so ago, and they are similar priced to my berettta, and they are slick right out of the box! I'll keep working on her, I really like the way she shoots.

Now if I can only figure a good way to get the plastic residue out of the chokes.....spinning a bore brush in my drill didn't do anything good....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mix up some Red's bore cleaner (google "red's bore cleaner") and let it soak for a day or two, then spin the brush.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=339531

This is what I use. You can buy this 16oz. jar and just drop your tubes in it to soak for a little while, or buy the more economical larger "jug" and pour it up into pint or quart jars to use.

I generally drop my tubes and let them soak overnight, or til the next evening. Pull them out and wipe them off with a rag. Sometimes I'll run a brush through for chits n giggles if the build up is pretty bad.

The stuff smells "citrusy" and is supposed to be earth friendly.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike and x2, I'll look into those solvents and give em a whirl!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Open your gun and point the barrels at the floor.
Spray in a tiny bit of your favorite aerosol bore cleaner. Put a scrap of clean T shirt in a small plastic cup. Then stand your shotgun in the corner muzzle down in the plastic cup. Next time you are ready to shoot pick it up and go.
When you get back wipe it down on the outside.
Give it another spray in the bores and return to the corner.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Open your gun and point the barrels at the floor.
Spray in a tiny bit of your favorite aerosol bore cleaner. Put a scrap of clean T shirt in a small plastic cup. Then stand your shotgun in the corner muzzle down in the plastic cup. Next time you are ready to shoot pick it up and go.
When you get back wipe it down on the outside.
Give it another spray in the bores and return to the corner.

SR, that does sound like my style--I'll try that too!