New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mcmillan vs HS precision
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
Looking for a new stock and can't seem to determine whether the Mcmillan has a full length bedding block like the HS. The HS in $50 cheaper, I can't make up my mind, whick is lighter?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The McMillan does not have a bedding block and from the experiences of friends of mine who have used H-S stocks about half the time the bedding blocks aren't enough on their own to properly bed the rifle. I handled the H-S stocks and don't like the texture of them much preferring the McMillan. If you go to the McMillan web-site and click on "stocks" and then "internet specials" they usually have stocks for around $300 that they call "drop-in" specials. How many they have and what models will depend on your rifle plus they are normally painted black. I much prefer them to any other after-market stock. The H-S may be marginally lighter than the McMillan but what's a few ounces?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MOA,

I have seven H-S Precisions stocks and two McMillan stocks. The McMillans do not have a bedding block and bedding is recommended for optimal performance. The H-S Precision stocks have the bedding blocks, and none of mine have required bedding to provide stellar accuracy. The secret must lie in torqueing the action screws to 65 in.-lbs. on the Remingtons.

They are both high-quality products; McMillans are more "traditional" in exterior finish (except for those wild gel-swirl models). They also have long lead times unless you buy from inventory (months, not weeks).

H-S Precision comes in a number of different colors and camo patterns, and their lead time is far shorter than McMillan's. I like both, but gravitate toward the H-S Precision due to the shorter lead time and no need for 'glass bedding.

At this price level, $50 doesn't mean much; get the one you think will fit your personal preferences. Neither one is particularly light in weight, but the McMillan may be a bit lighter.

If you want a truly lightweight synthetic stock, get one from Brown Precision. I have two of their stocks, and they are fantastic! They only weigh about 1lb. or so. Both rifles (Rem. 700s in .30-06 and .270) shoot sub-MOA with handloads.

Brown Precision is in Los Molinos, CA, and they do not have a website. Their phone number is 530-384-2506.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both, as well. The McMillians are much lighter, in some patterns, like 28-30 ozs.
I had my H-S Precision glass bedded. All it did was close up the gaps. Which is worth doing, but there was no improvement in accuracy.
The problem with the Brown "Pounder", as I understand it, is they have a thin skin. They get damaged easily.
McMillians are availiable with some great options. Gel coat colors, which look good even if the surface is scratched, and a variety of patterns to fit your application. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Dear Friends

Me and a buddy made a half scientific investigation a while ago. We had to stocks from HS and Mcmillan. We sawn them i half lenghtvise of feed your curiosity.

HS seems to be made out of some sort of "poridge" from all kinds of fibers mixed with a expoxy resin. To ensure proper quality of these and not have the system pounding the stock to pieces they need a bedding block.

Mcmillan is made by laid fibreglass and filled with expoxy and microballons and reenforced in the critical areas with fibreglass and some other sort of fibre.

If you pillar bed a McMillan you would have lighter and more rugged stock.

Cheers
JOHAN

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
We had to stocks from HS and Mcmillan. We sawn them i half lenghtvise of feed your curiosity.

Johan,

Be honest, how much vodka/beer/whiskey/schnapps did you guys drink before you decided to wreck two perfectly good rifle stocks? [Big Grin]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If your looking for a McMillan stock for a Rem. model 700 LA with the standard barrel contour, and have access to a Gander Mtn. store, take a look at their in house stock made for them by McMillan. I purchased mine for $269. If you don't have a Gander Mtn. store nearby I'm sure you could have them ship you one. This a very good deal. dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

we got them for nothing and we had no use for them. We asked around in the circle of gun nuts but everyone turned it down. We stod in my buddies work shop loading ammo and talked crap as normal. We started to debate about stocks and got curious. The milling machine started and we went to work. No alcohol just curiosity.

/ JOHAN

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
We feel that the Mcmillan is superior in all
respects to the HS offering. As Johan points
out a pillar bedded Mcmillan is lighter, stronger,
better looking and better finished.

Ross
Prairie Gun Works

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both mcmillan and hs precision stocks and much prefer mcmillan.They are lighter and just feel better to me.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
HS stocks are basically junk. Sorry, that's my first-hand experience. As Johan pointed out they are not made with "laid" glass cloth, they use "chopped" glass, though I could have told him that without wrecking two stocks! The difference between "laid" glass cloth and "chopped" glass is strength and weight. The "laid" cloth stocks (McMIllan, Borden-Rimrock, High-Tech, etc.), if "properly" done, will be lighter and stronger. The reason the HS stock has the bedding block is because it HAS to for strength. Under the heavy recoil of larger bores the "chopped" glass stocks will come apart. The "bedding-block" helps distribute the recoil forces. Another negative about the HS is they're heavy... around 38 oz's vs. around 32 oz's for the Mcmillan (average) and 26 oz's for the Rimrock and High-Tech.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd advise to pick whichever feels better to you. The quality of either is great.

The McMillans I have handled, felt like ill fitting junk. The HS stock comes very close to fitting me perfectly so I have stuck with them. I have two on Remingtons and am currently fitting one to a Mod. 70 Safari Express.
Due to the barrel lug and different floor plate, it wasn't a bolt on deal, but I knew that going into the project. I could of settled for a McM, but felt the HS was worth the effort.

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote