New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a savage 110 action for custom rifle
 Login/Join

<NEW SHOOTER>
posted
All opinions are welcomed, I can get a Savage 110 in 7mm mag with blonde stock around $300.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it could be done, but why would you want to? IMHO, the Savages might be strong as they come, but they are butt ugly compared to almost all other actions.
When building a true custom, the action is usually the cheapest part of the project. And what it might cost to bring the action up to specs for the rest of the custom work may make the cost of the action seem trivial.
For just a few bucks more, (maybe $50-100), you could buy a complete Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Commercial FN,or Weatherby action and have something that will look good, need less work to bring to specs, and have lots of aftermarket parts to complement the finished product.

Lots of Mauser 98 actions are available for very little money, but cost substantially more to machine and tune for a custom project, so the cost is pretty relative.

However, if you really love Savage actions, forget everything I just said above. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will generally take a beating if you ever want to sell a custom rifle. One built on a Savage action will get you a real whuppin.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about building a rifle to your specifications for shooting, the Savage will do.

If you're talking about a functional piece of the gunmaker's art, the Savage is an ugly duckling (I love the way Savages shoot!).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
George, We agree again. For a functional shooter the Savage will do.
New Shooter if you build a true custom from the ground up and make it an example of gun making art the action will be the costliest part of your project and far from the cheapest. The only thing you will spend more money on will be walnut.
For just a shooter use the Savage and you won't be sorry. Ask George.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use a savage as a starting point for a custom rifle, then as a first step I suggest melting the savage down and forming a solid block of steel. Then mill it out in the shape of a mauser action and you will have a perfect starting point.

No offense, but Savages are budget guns. No matter what engine you drop into a Chevette, it is still a Chevette.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great action, I have a couple they are smooth and adaptable to almost anything. Remeber you make the rifle for your self. You will love it

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I agree, it depends on what you want in the end.

If you want to shoot accurately and in volume, the Savage is just about impossible to beat. A $250 check to Pac Nor or Sharp Shooters supply will drop a new barrel on your doorstep, and the installation is a 10 minute, at home project. Compared to waiting 6 months for your friendly local smith to get to your 700, and charge you $300 for chambering, contouring, fitting and blueing........

If you also want pretty, history, resale value or bragging rights at the local SCI chapter meetings, the Savage is NOT your answer. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Dutch,
A 10 minute at home project? How do you fit and head space a barrel at home in 10 minutes?
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightnin

Only with a Savage! Screw the replacement barrel down on the Go Gauge, tighten the barrel nut, and check with the no-go. 10 minutes is probably an overestimate (unless the old barrel is stubborn).

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ugly is as savage builds...
But, swap the trigger, get a 416 taylor barrel, and get going. It'll be the easist one you can do.
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, just a short aside. Have you used the Savage as a switch barrel. Does Savage make multiple barrels with the same contour fit for the stock. It sounds easy and with a "family" of similar cartridges for the bolt might be a fun way to wildcat.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Frank, the last time I asked, Savage charged $180 to rebarrel a rifle. I'm not sure if they will rebarrel to a different cartridge.

Pac-nor will provide sporter and varmint barrels to factory contour, Sharp Shooter Supply will provide varmint factory contour barrels.

Yes, it is a fun way to switch barrels, though once you get the bug, it is still easier to just pick up a "well used" action at the pawn shop for $175. I've bought them as low as $150. It's the stocks that are high $$$, though the SSS stock is reasonable if you can do the work on the "out of the mold" version yourself (also see Lock, Stock and Barrel). Ditto for triggers. The factory trigger can be made serviceable, in many cases, but SSS and Rifle Basix offer upgrades. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote