New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 re-barreling, etc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can any of you guys recommend a decent gunsmith that will barrel up a Ruger #1 for me in 257 Weatherby? I don't need sights, just a barrel band sling swivel and some type of Weaver/picatinny rail fitted for scopes and a red dot. A hammer forged barrel would be the best but any of the premiums would be fine.

Good work and a decent turn around is all I need.

By the way, after receiving my 416-375 Ruger that Vapodog built on a Persian Mauser for me, I tried to talk him into the 257 project but he decided not to do it. Maybe someone can twist his arm?

Thanks all,
Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many good gunsmiths listed on this forum. I talked to Tip Burns about a project, that unfortunately never got off the ground due to supplier problems, and he seemed very easy to talk with. There is a poster, Rusty, on this forum who has shown some of the work that Tip Burns has done and it looked VERY nice.
Another suggestion, if you don't already own a No 1, or if you do, buy or trade into a No 1 in 25-06 and have it rechambered. Cheap way to go to get a 257 Wthby and will let you know if you like it enough to have one rebarreled.
Just a thought.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe of Bloomington MN has rebarrelled one of mine to a .223AI with a heavy Lilja and rechambered a .260 Rem to a 6.5X284 that someone else had rebarrelled. Both shoot very well and he did great work.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used John Lewis for years, he does a lot of m1 work, Lane Sympson featured his m1 wort in several writtings.

http://www.cprifles.com/About.html

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote