THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Bottom metal - cut/weld or replace?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
I have a stock 1917 Winchester with the idea of making a .404 Jeffery.

the bottom metal is stock with the double bend. I don't have the budget for a Wiebe unit and hoping there's a way to make mine work. I thought I'd seen someone use a 1903 bottom metal on a 1917 to avoid trying to straighten the 1917 bend? But then i tried to research it and it seems the 1903 has shorter screw spacing than the 1917?

And will the 1917 bottom metal stack the .404 Jeff rounds ok?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save your quarters and buy the Weibe unit! I did and it is miles ahead of a re welded version, at least the way I see it!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas! I wish i had quarters to save, but i have so danged many hobbies it's TOUGH! and my wife has different ideas of what is important... Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am considering selling plasma down at the blood center.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I am considering selling plasma down at the blood center.

I did that before my first date with my now wife... hilbily

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get a jig from the great smith,

Bob Snapp, and I can cut them apart removing the curve

put in the jig, and weld them back together.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to pay shipping, you can have one of the ones in my parts bin. These are bottom metal with floorplate and release mechanism. Nicely polished, but need to be re-blued.

PM me it interested.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a jig that holds everything. I can loan it to you if you like. Of coarse you can just use the action to hold it too.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote