New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana 1999 & Legend stocks
 Login/Join

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
Brian Sipes was nice enough to send down one of his 375 Length actions to allow me to see if our Model 70 Legend fiberglass stocks could be used for those wishing to do so. The answer is yes. You would have to make a slight allowance for the bolt stop and for the slightly longer front ring. Otherwise marine tex will fill in what ever minor differences that there are between the 70 and the 1999 action's foot print.The front and rear guard screw spacing, magazine well location and trigger position are pretty much the the same. Brian also tells me the Left hand action is a mirror image so our Model 70 Legend left hand stock should work as well.

posted Hide Post
D'Arcy,

Would your Legend stock withstand the recoil of an M-70 .416 Remington and/or .458 Lott?

How much would a lefthand Legend stock for a left-hand M-70 cost?

Thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
George, without any problem at all

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks D'Arcy.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Legend is that a company name? or, who make these stocks?

Do they also have stocks for the short action versions?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should probably let D'Arcy answer this question but, quickly. This stock is designed by D'Arcy and built for him by Mcmillan. This stock was originally only available if you ordered a complete "Legend" rifle (hence the name) from Mr. Echols. He has now made the stock blank available by itself to those that are interested. It fits the Win classic model 70 LA and as you have seen above will accomodate the MR 1999 LA.

Simple explanation, and if I have ommited something or added something wrong please correct me.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Simple explanation, and if I have ommited something or added something wrong please correct me.

Prices, prices, pictures, pictures [Smile]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
$300.00 plus shippng, At this time posting photos of this stock is beyond my ability, Sorry

<John Lewis>
posted
I have one of D'Arcy's stocks on the way to me. When It gets here I'll try to post some pictures of the blank and then of the finished stock a week or so later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are these stocks to be ordered from Mr. Echols or McMillan Bros?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
30 Mag Fan,

You'll need to order from D'Arcy. Simply the best hunting rifle stock I have ever held.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'arcy

Will your Legend stock fit a prewar 70? I'm planning on a rebarrel job next week, and then the stock.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy,

If you send the photo to Lisa, we'll get it posted here for you.

Take Care,

Steve Holder

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, Steve and D'Arcy-

Thanks for your posts. I too would like to see a picture of the stock also.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'arcy, while we are at it...
1) Can you get this stock with molded-in colours (like other McMillan produced stocks)???

2) what is the barrel channel like? Intended for which barrel contour??

3) I take it your $300 price is unfinished?? Inletted (McMillan offers 2 levels of inletting)??

Thanks for your time in advance. - mike

[ 03-28-2003, 19:53: Message edited by: mho ]

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy,

Got your PM and responded. The PM e-mail notification doesn't seem to be working, so I thought I'd let you know here.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does such a stock weigh finished with a pad?

There are some nice pictures of the Legend rifle posted here by Allen Day. I bet they are in the archives somewhere. Maybe Nebraska could find that thread in his favorites and edit out the text please?

[ 03-30-2003, 20:07: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there an option of having the barreled action fitted to the stock by you?
I have a LH short action on order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As you can see from above posts, this stock will not accomodate a short action.

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
For those that are interested a spec sheet in regards to our Legend stock is availible by sending a self addressed stamped envelope to the following address.

D'Arcy Echols & Co.
PO Box 421
Millville Utah 84326

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy, John and Steve-

D'Arcy -
I have sent you a SASE for the spec on your Legend Stock. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

John and Steve-

Has anyone had any success in posting a picture of the Legend Stock or just a picture of a Legend Rifle.

Thank you in advance.

<HBH>
posted
30Mag Fan,

Most likly quick thing I can think of where you could see a photo is from "Rifle" magazine article by John Barsness, Called something like "D'Arcy's Black Rifle" it was within the last year, but I cant remember the month.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of the Legend from the Jan/Feb 1999 Rifle magazine(#161). The article was by Wayne van Zwoll and the title was "Built Better in Black"

-

[ 04-04-2003, 05:08: Message edited by: Mauser98 ]

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HBH and Mauser 98-

Thanks!!

D'Arcy, she's a beauty!!!

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Here are a couple of photos that Allen Day sent me that I posted a while back.

D'Arcy wasn't able to get me the photos yet. He's busy and having issues with his CDROM.

As a side note my wife Lisa is working on D'Arcy's web site. So in the future we'll simply be able to direct everyone to a FANTASTIC web site.

(BTW, D'Arcy, if you send Lisa a copy of the spec sheet that you mentioned, I can get it converted to PDF and post the link here as well. That way you don't have to hassle with stuffing envelopes)

Here are the picts of Allen's rifle:

-

-

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice stock. How heavy a barrel will it accomidate ?? Right now I'm looking at a #6 Krieger.. It is like a Douglas contour, being 1.250" at the breech, 1" six inches from the breech and .75 @ 26".
Thanks,
Pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Steve, just what we needed! If you do get the specs (I have yet to get home to get my $$$ to send to D'Arcy), make sure you post the weight of the stock.

Thanks again for making the effort. Tell your wife we are looking forward to the Echols' site!

- mike

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
Hopefully this will answer some of questions about our Legend stock.

Finished weight with the hardware in place, a 1" pad, swivels and filled with the required amount of Marine Tex is about 2lbs 2oz for the sporter fill and 2lbs 6 oz for a Magnum fill.

The forend will except a #5 barrel comfortably

At this time we are only supply this stock as we get them for our own work. We use no molded in colors from McMillan and at present can't supply them in this configuration. We get these machined as a "Custom Drop In" without an ejection port, swivles,pad or bolt notch.

We offer no barreled action installations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy & Steve,

When is the website due to be up?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the exact schedule. Lisa is like protective Pit Bull (although MUCH better looking!) when it comes to her work and doesn't like me getting into her stuff.

She's just getting started on it, though. So it' will be a bit.

I'm sure that we'll let everyone know here when it's up.

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Super D'Arcy, thanks a bunch. The stock has my favorite kind of cheek-piece [Smile]
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve-

Thank you for posting the pictures. That was very helpful.

D'Arcy-

Does your stock come textured like the picture or is that a spray on finish. Also, does your stock come with the checkering like the rifle in the picture.

And as I mentioned, in an earlier post that is a beautiful rifle. Great work!!!

Best regards,

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
The stock does not come with any texture or paint and the checkering pattern is molded into the stock.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Here is a picture of the of the check piece side of the Legend stock.

-

D'Arcy can comment on it more, if needed.

Take Care,

-Steve

[ 04-09-2003, 01:57: Message edited by: Steve ]

posted Hide Post
That M70 is classy, even if it's in a 'glass stock! I bet it shoots better than it looks too! [Wink]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote