New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mailing firearms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am sending a shotgun to an out-of-state dealer. He has sent me a copy of his FFL, and requested that I mail the shotgun to him via registered mail.

I have never mailed a firearm before, and fear that this will be a new experience for the staff of my local post office as well. The ATF regulations seem to clearly indicate that its legal from their perspective, but the US Postal Service website gives little direction; the only form that they provide is clearly intended for dealer-to-dealer.

Can anyone point me to a postal regulation, website address, etc. that will provide me with information that I'll need should the local post office refuse my package?

I know that this isn't strictly a gunsmithing question, but figure that the folks here are likely to be familiar with the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can ship a long gun private party to dealer via the post office.

Handguns via the post office are dealer to dealer only.

Just have them call the postal inspector if there's a question. They will verify for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The firearms that are sent to me come either by UPS or FedEx, however, I occasionally get them sent to me via the post office with no problem.

The procedure is simple. Box up the shotgun with NO ammo, walk it in to your post office and present it to the clerk. Take a COPY of the receiving dealers FFL in case the Post Office needs it, insure the package, tell them you want a signature receipt, pay the money and you're done.

For the exact postal regulations, pick up the phone and call your local post office and ask to speak to a manager. They should be able to, without too much difficulty, provide you chapter and verse, the actual regulation. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Follow the links for specific ATF answers.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Follow the links for specific ATF answers.

Jaywalker

I get guns shipped to me from all over, and while 99 percent of my customes have no problem doing so, I will on occasion, have someone who receives a little resistance by a carrier's employee who literally has no clue. Thanks for the link Jaywalker. thumb

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks.

Just what I needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
whiteeagle, the most secure way to mail a firearms is by USPS registered mail. Each and every person who lays their hands on the package has to sign off. Experienced postal employees have mailed a ton of firearms, don't worry, if you run into one of the others, get in another line.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
whiteeagle, the most secure way to mail a firearms is by USPS registered mail. Each and every person who lays their hands on the package has to sign off. Experienced postal employees have mailed a ton of firearms, don't worry, if you run into one of the others, get in another line.

Chic,

Ask our mutual friend what happens when you try to mail ammunition through the US mail. rotflmo

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to say (with a little surprise in my voice) that mailing via USPS my Kimber to its new home in Hawaii was a pleasure compared to the hassle I got from UPS.

The Post Office guy was helpful, even giving me paper tape (and water, a sponge, and a towel to dry up afterward) to close the ends of the package. (It has to be paper tape, so they can tamper-proof stamp it.) I sent it Registered, Insured, Return Receipt. You do have to tell them it's a firearm - don't try to call it "sewing machine parts."

Compare that treatment to UPS. There was only one place I could ship it from in my area, and that was over an hour away. It was open only during "business hours," i.e., Mon - Fri, 9 - 5. The guy whom I spoke to was apologetic - he said the company changes the rules every month or so - sometimes his facility can do it, but right now - not.

Both FedEx and UPS would have charged me $75 to ship it to Hawaii. USPS did it all for $37. Because of this, the US Post Office is my first choice as shipper for all my packages. If they aren't an option, I spend some time with the merchant to explain that I'd like that choice next time.

Jaywalker

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
The Post Office guy was helpful, even giving me paper tape (and water, a sponge, and a towel to dry up afterward) to close the ends of the package.
Jaywalker

This raises a question. Should I leave the package unsealed when I first go into the Post Office, in case they wish to inspect the shotgun, or is inspection unlikely (although I'll put the roll of tape in the car, just in case)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No. They have no need to inspect it. You may not include any combustible materials (ammunition), or handguns, however. Just seal it at home, with paper tape if you have it. If not, they have some, and let me, at least, use it. You/they can run the paper tape over the plastic tape, if that's all you have at home.

Jaywalker

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
DEFINATELY DO NOT SHIP ANY AMMO!!!!!

You get certified nasty grams from the postal inspector and you will never see it again. Bad juju no matter how you look at it.

But shipping guns with USPS has always been a pretty simple matter in my experience. I have ran into mail clerks that needed some clarification from the regs but it has always worked out. And by going Priority Mail it gets there a lot faster than the others.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again, thank you all.