Help, I think it's possessed!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I have a Peruvian Maused that will not fire for me - here is the background:

- bought a sporterized Peruvian mauser to rebarrel to 7x57

- it was a 7.63 Argentiene - shot ok - I shot about 20 rounds

- Sent it off to a smith to be rebarreled, bolt handle bent, and scope mounts installed.

- When I got it back a few months later (it looked great!) I mounted it back in the stock and brought it to the range - It would not fire - firing pin went forward each time I pulled the trigger but there was not one primer touched.

- I called the smith and he said it was possible the the bolt shroud was not on right and to sent the action back and he would make it right.

- I have taken a part mauser bolts before so I stripped the bolt and put it back together.

- took it to the range and it still didn't fire - I sent the barreled action back to my smith

- he called me a week later and asked me what the problem was - I told him - he said he had just tested it with primed brass and they fired fine - I asked him to fire a couple rounds through it - he said he would and send the fired brass back with the action - also installed a new 2 position mauser safety on the bolt. n He also said with these actions you need to put the ammo in the magazine first and then jack the round in the barrel - you can't put it right in the barrel. I have always done this with every rifle.

- I got the action back on Friday, saw the fired brass, installed the action in the stock and went to the range. I put 3 rounds in the mag and closed the bolt - jacked in a cartridge in the barrel - CLICK - another round- Click, 3rd round -click. I put them all back in and again - Click, Click, Click. I tried single rounds, and I tried a different box of ammo same thing. No primers even touched. nilly

**My question: could the stock be causing my problem? I've only sent the action to my smith and he puts it in a mauser stock he has, I guess. Could cranking the action too tight in the stock cause this kind of problem?

Am I Just Jinxed??

I have no bad words at all about my Gunsmith!

I think I am doing something wrong bewildered and if anyone could figure it out it would be the people on the forum.

Thanks,
Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Thought - Bolt handle is not in totally closed position - check to see if the bolt is closed totally in the stock as it would be out of the stock.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
BAOkie:
You mean maybe the bolt handle is touching the stock and not going all the way down? I'll Check That. Thanks

Any other thoughts?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That and possible the trigger is binding on the stock and not allowing a full fall of the firing pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the distance the cocking piece sticks out of the bolt in the fired position both in and out of the stock - if there is a difference - something is binding.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
All good stuff - thanks

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
BAOkie:
It WAS the bolt handle hitting the stock (I had the bolt cut and rewelded to clear the scope)

I can't believe I forgot to check that - THANKS!!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lance - I'll bet we all have had one(or more) of those obvious moments - James

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Riodot you might also check that its not just the bolt hitting the stock but you may have to take a little metal off from under the bolt handle or where the handle contacts the reciever. Both of my sporterized 96's needed this done to function properly. Make sure that you take enough out so that it aligns fully instead of just barely or this problem may rear its head again in the field at a most inopportune time.(after a slight build up of dirt /grease from hunting use)
Let us know how it works out.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful removing metal on action or bolt - if it goes past the proper position, you will likely have a problem with your safety. CAUTION should apply in this area. James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't feel so bad Riodot. I had some work done on a 96 Mauser by one of the better local gunsmiths. Beautiful work except he didn't take enough metal off when he installed the new safety. Obviously he didn't check it. Took it back, waited another 3 weeks and it worked great....happens to the best of them. Smith came highly recommended and did a great job on the new bolt handle, just missed the obvious....thats life.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote