Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppes No.9 history?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
It is no longer imported to Norway, due to some stuff in it that is not wery healthy. Supposedly.
Is it still alive and kicking back home in the US?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It is and I keep an open bottle of the stuff near my work bench to make the place smell like a gun shop. Big Grin I believe it is affectionately referred to as "Love potion #9... Outers also had a great smelling after shave Nitro Solvent. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
When my wife feels I've been spending too much time in the shop, she puts a dab-o-#9 behind her ears and strolls through. lol

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
It is no longer imported to Norway, due to some stuff in it that is not wery healthy.

Man! I hope it isn't too unhealthy, I always put a few drops in my coffee.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
It is no longer imported to Norway, due to some stuff in it that is not wery healthy.

Bent, here is the MSDS document on it in PDF format:

http://www.copquest.com/knowledgebase/MSDS_Hoppes_No_9_Solvent.pdf

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Honey which do you want me to wear tonight? The Hoppes #9 or the Giorgio Armani GIO? Big Grin LOL!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
member HSS (Hoppes sniffers society)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read thousands of MSDS sheets, and written a dozen or so in my work. This is not one of the better ones...

Note for color: pungent odor.
and for odor: amber colored.

Nonetheless, no IARC carcinogens, and other than that it appears to be about par for organic solvents, so long as it does not include methyl ethyl death or trichloroethyl family of compounds, it works for me.

I would not put it behind my ear. but that is just because I would not want to see what that might attract...

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jameister:
Note for color: pungent odor.
and for odor: amber colored.

Congratulations for making it that far. I usually nod off after the first few lines. Big Grin I try to keep a stack of MSDS sheets on the night stand for those nights when I can't sleep. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original Hoppe's #9 contained nitrobenzene ... which has known health ramifications. I believe it was removed from the formulation some years ago.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
My earliest memories of my Dad are watching him clean his rifles with Hoppes #9. That smell still takes me back every time. Smiler

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's great on toast or drizzled over grilled fish.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
My earliest memories of my Dad are watching him clean his rifles with Hoppes #9. That smell still takes me back every time. Smiler

Boy can I relate to that statement........

By age 4 I spent every waking minute in our gunsmith shop with my dad and his partner, huddling up to an old homemade wood stove reading magazine (pictures to begin with), and the smell of the ole Hoppes was strong in the air.

Mom used to cook up some mighty fine meals in those days and never missed a chance to nag us about the smell that preceded us to the dining table. Back then the only smell that was better than Hoppes, was the fresh homemade bread and fried chicken that was waiting for us after we were forced to wash up........

Ahh.....The good ole days.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's been a lot of ink spilled over the years writing about it. Always reminds me of my departed brother, RIP.

It's a lot more than a solvent.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling is correct.

Many years ago when I was in college my Organic Chemistry Professor was a hunter.

He told me that the formula had been changed because of the NB.

There are many better bore cleaners on the market, but I still like the smell of Hoppes.

I have an old, old, bottle I just use to smell once in a while. Big Grin

I like the smell of Ballistol too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too use it just for the smell. I use blue wonder to clean and then run some hoppes through since I already have it sitting there poured into the cap for fragrance. My wife disagreed with my opinion that No. 9 and top grain leather would make an awesome fragrance for a real man.

I did have the misfortune of hpping into my car on a fresno 110 summer day when a bottle of 7.62 had spilled in the back seat, luckily for me I fell out of the car as I started to succumb. damn that is pungent.

Does Hoppes sell No. 9 in a pump? Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
It also gets better with age. Dad still has a bottle from the 50's. He doesnt use it. Its just for smell. I open it whenever Im up visiting. The new stuff smells good but that stuff from the 50's is just a bit better. Smiler

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the fragrance in Hoppes 9 is banna oil.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Origins?

My recollection is that Moses brought it down, along with the Ten Commandments, and in the classic 2 oz. size bottle, from the Mount Sinai.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it to clean my shotguns. But there are better solvents for rifle duty.

Mike is right about the NB. I have a bottle of 40's or 50's vintage I found with my grandpa's shooting supplies and NitroBenzene is listed right on the label.

So when your at your dad's Bill, I wouldn't smell to much! Wink

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm ... a reasonable memory and a Ph.D. in chemistry is sometimes worthwhile

BTW: Unfortunately nitrobenzene is a carcinogen.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have sniffed it for years, secondhand, of course, incidental to shining my rifle.

I truly miss the nitrobenzene, though.

Anybody still have any of the old stuff in stock?

Oh, and BTW, it's pronounced Hop-ease, not Hops. We should have a special forum for pronunciation:

Steyr = stire, not stair
Blaser = blah-zer, not blay-zer
Sako = sock-o, not say-ko
Tikka = tee-ka, not tick-a
Thys = Tiece, not thiss
Chapuis = Sha-pwee, not chapoowiss
Francotte = Frang-cot, not francottee

Somebody stop me before I sniff any more Hop-ease and get a diz-ease.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I keep waiting on some enterprising soul to bring out a Hoppes No. 9 scented auto air freshener. I'm thinking of an oak leaf in Mossy Oak that smells like Hoppes. Chances are there's a market...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:

Maybe, but the fragrance in model airplane dope was banana oil when I was a kid, and they don't smell at all the same to me. Either way, no matter why, Hoppes smells great.

I still have a quart of the original. They changed the formulation at least twice that I know of...first time I can recall ws in 1971-72 when they got rid of the NB (and I quickly grabbed two quarts off the shelf in the shop and put it aside for my own use.) I still find it a good product for sporting rifles I just want to put away in the vault and have still smell like real guns..

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, and specially you, Westpack! Big Grin
I-ll see to a way to smuggle it in.....!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

Maybe, but the fragrance in model airplane dope was banana oil when I was a kid, and they don't smell at all the same to me. Either way, no matter why, Hoppes smells great.

I've gotta say, so does the model airplane dope! Big Grin Now, where did I put my shoes...

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steyr = stire, not stair

I recall a Steyr ad, I think in Shooter's Bible, explaining that it should be pronounced "stare."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
quote:
Steyr = stire, not stair

I recall a Steyr ad, I think in Shooter's Bible, explaining that it should be pronounced "stare."

Then of course there's the famous fishing lure....

Rapala.......(WRAP-A-LA).....Not Ra-po-la

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anybody got pictures of the hoppes labels through the years? i found a great jack daniels label gallery once, but would love to see one of the Hoppes labels.

brings up another question in my mind, why don't we see more firearms related tattoos? Like exploded blueprint of the mauser action, hoppes label, etc.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
brings up another question in my mind, why don't we see more firearms related tattoos?

Pardner, you just ain't lookin'. Every Marine Corps tattoo you see is firearms related. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
quote:

I've gotta say, so does the model airplane dope! Big Grin Now, where did I put my shoes...

Yes, agreed! Remember back in the 40's & 50's how they used to warn us kids not to sniff Model Airplane Dope? Seems some kids were into what's now called "huffing" even then...but it sure did smell great, didn't it?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, agreed! Remember back in the 40's & 50's how they used to warn us kids not to sniff Model Airplane Dope? Seems some kids were into what's now called "huffing" even then...but it sure did smell great, didn't it?

Don't know anything about the 40's but in the 50's if you said something a little off the wall, the adults would ask "are ya, sniffin' glue?". Well yes, in a fashion... Big Grin

I'm pretty sure that's why some of my friends dads got involved in the hobby. They told us kids the stuff was used to help get the model planes off the ground. Yeah, right! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Steyr = stire, not stair

No, that is simply wrong. In fact, the hard core Austrian pronunciation is "schtire" and is more correct than "stire" - so consider my post amended.

But the German names are the toughest for most, and certainly for me.

Now, for extra credit, how about "Sauer"? Big Grin

For double extra credit, how about "Heckler & Koch"? Big Grin Big Grin

For triple extra credit, how about "SIG"?

Hoppes to it!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Now, for extra credit, how about "Sauer"? Big Grin

That would be like sour but with a "Z" emphasis on the S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For double extra credit, how about "Heckler & Koch"? Big Grin Big Grin

For triple extra credit, how about "SIG"?

Hoppes to it!

Missed those two..

Heckler & Koch == Heckler & Kook

SIG == Zig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I'm pretty sure that's why some of my friends dads got involved in the hobby. They told us kids the stuff was used to help get the model planes off the ground. Yeah, right! Big Grin

Yeh, the model airplane glue smelled a bit different, but had the same effect. Maybe they called the stuff for the wing and fuselage fabric "dope" for good reason, huh? Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Hoppes with Nitro Benzene can be purchased here:

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Scre...S&Category_Code=39HP

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steyr = stire, not stair

No, that is simply wrong. In fact, the hard core Austrian pronunciation is "schtire" and is more correct than "stire" - so consider my post amended.
Maybe so, but they sure did advertise it that way.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David Reed,

You get one extra credit.

You are correct on "zour" as in "sour" with a z, for "Sauer."

In Heckler & Koch, the "Koch" is pronounced "coke" but to sound German you have to sort of half swallow and then spit out the final "k" sound. Big Grin

As for "SIG" the Swiss don't pronounce it as one word. They pronounce it the same way as we pronounce "IBM" by saying each letter separately, one at a time.

In German, it sounds like "ess, ee, gay" - which stands for "Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft." BTW, I'm not suggesting that we English speakers should go that far, though. Roll Eyes I just say "SIG" as a word, the way it would sound in English.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt is with some embarassment that only resently I found that there was a Hoppe's #9 powder solvent and a Hoppe's #9 copper solvent. The 32 oz. boxes are almost identical.

I have been using the powder solvent for quite a number of years by letting it soak in the barrels over night and all day long. The blue color on the patches always indicated there was copper coming out. If the copper removal became stubborn I hit it with Sweets 7.62.

All in all I must say that the Hoppe's for the most part did the job. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote