Find
Notify
Tools

Savage bbl removal and reinstall
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Guys,

I have a .308 Winchester Savage 10 with a Douglas bbl. I need to pull the bbl and send it off to my favorite threader to have it fitted with a brake/adapter for a can.

I have the barrel nut wrenches and have an insert almost made for my Brownell's style barrel vise.

I think I can make an insert for my Brownell's style Mauser action wrench out of 7075 as my understanding is that the action wrench is only really used to hold the action in place while the barrel nut is tightened when the barrel is reinstalled. Really should not be a lot of stress on the action wrench and thus not much on the piece supporting the bottom curve of the action.

Do I need to put a wrench on the action to hold it when the nut wrench is used to loosen the nut?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
No, clamp the barrel and turn the nut. Don't over-engineer it as it really couldn't be any simpler.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother even taking the barrel off. If he is just going to thread it he may be able to put it through the headstock with it still on the action.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Thank you!

Jim,

Machinist is not an FFL ... so cannot receive a bbl'd action. But he is a superb machinist who is maniacal about accuracy. He's done 4 barrels for me and each has been perfect.

Thanks Guys!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are yu gonna do? Call the ATF to see if they are hanging around the guy's shop?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Clamp barrel turn nut!!! Seen several actions tweaked trying the action holding route! You have to clamp the barrel TIGHT . I use 2 notched oak boards and I have to use a "leverage extender" to tighten my bench vise.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mike you do not need to remove the barrel to thread it for a brake.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote