New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moisture Content Stock Blanks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the acceptable moisture content for dry Stock Blanks? Anyone have experience with blanks in the 12% range (english walnut)...does it present any problems during turning or post turning? Thanks. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moisture content of a given blank will depend on the location where the blank has come from. Blanks in the Rio Grande Valley will reach 5% and stay there. In more humid environments the moisture could be as high as 12%. Where did the stock come from?
When I work on a project, I take a blank and have it turned to the profile I want and then let the blank set for 6-12 months. The wood will then have time to settle in and stabilize a bit more until such time as I am ready to have it finished out. I learned this trick from Al Biesen. He has been turning and selling semi-inletted stocks for many years. He told me at the ACGG meeting a number of years ago that he preferred a stock to mellow a while before finishing it. It has worked out well for me.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Stock Blanks have been in Georgia for approximately 20+ years and range from 10 to 12% mc depending on thickness. I had planned on having them turned at Wenig's and let stand for 9 to 12 months before finishing. I like Al Biesen's thinking on this matter...make good sense to let the stock stand and acclimatize to its environment. Ron

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am NO expert so take this for what it is worth. I purchased 60 blanks from Oregon last summer. After wintering in the heated house most read 7% on the surface with a two pin tester. They had been cut for 5+ years when I recieved them.

I would say that your blanks have done all that they are going to do in the environment that they are in. If they were brought indoors with the heater on for a few monthes I am willing to bet that you would see a drier piece of wood.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote