New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 742 extraction problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son-in-law is having some extractions problems with his 30/06 742 using rem. factory ammo. The rifle is jaming, and ripping the rims of the cases pretty bad. That would lead me to think, dirty chamber. But he is also getting raised primers and in one case, completely blew out the primer, which means he is getting high pressure. He admits he has never specifically cleaned the chamber.

Question...can a dirty chamber give high pressure problems?

Thanks for whatever imput you may offer.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or oil in the chamber. That would send the pressure way up.
Clean the gun from chamber to muzzle and try it again

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the worst news is that the gun's worn out. If you want to be absolutely certain..and you've checked all the other possibilities, I'd send it back to Remington.

Just about every 740 out there is on it's last legs and the older 742's are not far behind.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we will try Kerry's suggestion first and if we still have problems, either send it out to Rem. or have a gunsmith check it out.

Thanks,
Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The problems sounds more like a gas system problem than anything, causing the bolt to cycle way too fast. What happens is the bolt begins to move before the chamber pressure drops to a safe level and so with nothing to support the primers, they back out, or pop out. The tell tale sign is the primer pocket is not distorted, and the primers, when recovered are in otherwise good condition. This also explains the bolt ripping the rims off the cases.

This problem can be the result of an erroded and enlarged gas port, an over drilled gas port, or in the case of the 742, a missing or out of whack gas system check ball and screw.

I would refer this gun to someone who is familiar with gas systems, or, as Duane suggested, return it to the factory.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I suspect Duane is right. Remington semi-autos of that era and which have been used regularly are often getting to the age & state where they are wearing out these days.

It was also important (my opinion) to keep them clean and well lubed even when they were nearly new. I used several of them in the far north for a number of years and in that environment they were particularly tricky. Too much lube and they would not function when it became cold out, too little lube and they soon expired from friction wear in the lug and barrel extension areas.

They are, of course, relatively difficult to clean, with those little locking logs and locking lug recesses, and with the pretty much enclosed (limited acess) chamber and bolt areas. Any nice hard black carbon is hard to get out, and inreases abrasion.

Older primers also contained some friction enhancers to make the primers work better, and that was not great for the Remington actions if left in there forever. And as they were usually cleaned from the muzzle end, a lot of that carbon and the primer abrasive was pushed into the action, not out the muzzle.

If it was my rifle and I lived where there were once a lot of those rifles in common use, I think I'd ask around and find a local smith who earned a bunch of his living working on them back when they were more popular in the deer woods. I'd take it to him and ask for an evaluation and repair estimate.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Duane and Westpac have hit the nail on the head. I went back and examine the fired cases again, and there is no distortion of the primer pockets which supports Westpac's hypothesis, this is probably due to errosion from being worn out from a lot of use.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Well, the worst news is that the gun's worn out. If you want to be absolutely certain..and you've checked all the other possibilities, I'd send it back to Remington.

Just about every 740 out there is on it's last legs and the older 742's are not far behind.

This time of year one more 742 shows up in the shop because “it jams”. Good luck getting Remington to help out. After years of warranty work, replacement rebates and parts support they've will tell you (and rightfully so in most cases) “its just worn out”

Remington discontinued the Model 742 in 1980. Though the 1990’s Remington offered an exchange program in which you could send in your old 742 and $325 and receive a new 7400, This program ended in 1999. Remington no longer has parts nor do they offer factory service for the 742 (per Remington's Customer Service)

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the 742 ... but I have a 7400 in .308 Win with the same problem. Have cleaned the hell out of it. Polished the chamber. Replaced the extractor. Replaced the ball and cleaned the gas port. Still no go.

Aggravating. Wish there was a simple kit to make a pump gun out of it because it used to shoot well ... <1" at 100 with a 165 gr SP handload. Was a great beater gun while it worked.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will not be good news for my son-in-law, as he loves that old 742 and he's killed a pile of deer with the thing. I've always thought they had the balance and feel of a truck axel, myself.

Fortunately he recently got a Thompson Center Icon, but he's afraid to use it, because it's so pretty. I need to sneak it out of his gun cabinet and chain it to my truck, and drag it down the road a piece. That would make it as useful to him as his old 742.

Many thanks for all y'alls help with this matter.

Regards,
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
I don't have any experience with the 742 ... but I have a 7400 in .308 Win with the same problem. Have cleaned the hell out of it. Polished the chamber. Replaced the extractor. Replaced the ball and cleaned the gas port. Still no go.

Aggravating. Wish there was a simple kit to make a pump gun out of it because it used to shoot well ... <1" at 100 with a 165 gr SP handload. Was a great beater gun while it worked.

You had a real jewel there: I know for a fact that factory specs will DEMAND no more than a 4" group at 100 yds.

You can convert to a pump...never did it, but this might bring suggestions out of the woodwork

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

This time of year one more 742 shows up in the shop because “it jams”. Good luck getting Remington to help out. After years of warranty work, replacement rebates and parts support they've will tell you (and rightfully so in most cases) “its just worn out”

Remington discontinued the Model 742 in 1980. Though the 1990’s Remington offered an exchange program in which you could send in your old 742 and $325 and receive a new 7400, This program ended in 1999. Remington no longer has parts nor do they offer factory service for the 742 (per Remington's Customer Service)

Thanks for bringing us up to speed on this...news to me!

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Let's look on the positive side. In the right hands the Remington 742 makes a great target rifle. In fact it can be fun for the entire family. There is nothing like driving a bullet through the receiver at 100 yards and watching the thing come apart. I would video tape it so you could re-live the fun anytime you like. Ooooorah! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote