New
Find
Notify
Tools

lands and grooves??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys im not up on all the terminology that goes with gunsmithing, but iv been hearin the words lands and grooves and rifling, i know what the rifling is, but what are the lands and grooves. Please dont mind my ignorance. thanks

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The lands stand above the grooves. The groove diameter represents the bullets diameter and the tops of the lands represent the bore diameter.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
To put it another way - you bore out the barrel ,giving you the bore diameter.Then you cut grooves in the bore giving you the groove diameter or rifling !There are many types of rifling ;deep or shallow [microgroove], wide or narrow, sharp or rounded corners .There are different ways of making it ; cut ,button ,swaged etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok so in other words the grooves are the rifling and the lands are the raised part in between the grooves that the bullet actually rides on. I understand now, i think, thanks alot everyone

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The lands slice into the jacket of the bullet and provide the spin.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people dial in a barrel on the grooves, some on a spud that's held by the lands.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a .30-caliber rifle, the lands are .300 inches from each other, across the diameter of the bore. The bore has a major diameter of .308 inches. The lands cut into the jacket of the bullet by .004 inches. The bullet is .308 inches in diameter. The lands grip the jacket and cause the bullet to rotate on its long axis as it travels down the bore. The bore must be the same size as the bullet's diameter, or we will have a bullet that gets swaged as it goes down the barrel. This is not good; the barrel can get bulged, the bullet can get stuck, the barrel may even split open like a banana peel or like the rip in the hull of the Titanic.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
In a .30-caliber rifle, the lands are .300 inches from each other, across the diameter of the bore. The bore has a major diameter of .308 inches. The lands cut into the jacket of the bullet by .004 inches. The bullet is .308 inches in diameter. The lands grip the jacket and cause the bullet to rotate on its long axis as it travels down the bore. The bore must be the same size as the bullet's diameter, or we will have a bullet that gets swaged as it goes down the barrel. This is not good; the barrel can get bulged, the bullet can get stuck, the barrel may even split open like a banana peel or like the rip in the hull of the Titanic.

Let's correct what you said. You are good up to "the bore must be the same size as the bullet". The bore is .300 in your example, how can it be the same size as the bullet. Bullet is groove diameter.... .308 The bore is .300
Groove diameter from groove to groove is .308
Groove depth is .004

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And to further cloud the issue, the different barrel makers use different bore and groove diameters of the same caliber.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
And to further cloud the issue, the different barrel makers use different bore and groove diameters of the same caliber.

And bullets are not all the same diameter either. Frowner Frowner

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's correct what you said.

The overall bore in a finished .30-caliber barrel is .308 inches in diameter. The lands are .300 inches from each other, across the center of the bore. The lands are .004 inches high. The original bore starts out as .300 inches and is then rifled to where the major bore diameter is .308 inches. The bullet is .308 inches in diameter. We have a circle with in a circle, here. Not hard to understand...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are arguing semantics. The bore diameter. is 300", the groove diameter is .308".

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's the land diameter that is .300 and the groove diameter that is .308 inches. Whatever it is, I make sure I use the right bullets in the proper cases. Wouldn't want to put a .308 bullet into a .257 case...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Ray, he ain't an old fool.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How 'bout them Yankees?