Find
Notify
Tools

Un plate or replate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
1890 (1927) 22 pump. All I have is the receiver and butt plate.

Can it be stripped and blued? or just replate it? Also what are the chances of finding the rest of the part < $400.

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It must be stripped before anything is done, including re plating.
Craft guard in Waterloo is where I send all my plating jobs. and bluing. They can do whichever you want.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For parts contact http://homesteadparts.com They have a pretty good selection. I have rebuild/restored a number of those and found Homestead to have many of the parts I need.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buying every individual part needed to make the rifle from just a stripped frame & TG is going to be very expensive.

I would set out to look for a somewhat doggy 1890, perhaps one that's alreadt been reblued (not going to use the frame and TG anyway) or perhaps drilled and tapped. Both these situations really lower the value and make slow movers out of them.
You should be able to find a project or parts gun for 400 or less.
These are what are usually bought and stripped for their parts by places like Homestead.
If you need a couple of the small parts to complete it, then Homestead or one of the other sources is there.
But you could easily spend the $400 on just a stripped, used bbl, & repro unfinished stock and forend to start.

The bbl, no matter where you get it will most likely not carry along with it an exc bore, an extra plus if it does!

A factory nickel plate finished '90 would have been a Special Order rifle. But trying to restore doesn't usually work out $$ wise as collectors frown as soon as they see new work and non original parts.

Have fun with it.
Maybe make a pistol grip checkered deluxe out of it. I've done that with some and have one in the works now.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm not sure I'm going to continue with this one.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Sent you a PM.

Hip

Posts: 1885 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote