THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help removing stripped screws from scope ring?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was trying to take off the sako optilock rings on my scope and I finally ofund out why people dont like them. I stripped 2 screws despite being slow and careful and now I have a scope ring on a scope that i cant get off.
any suggestions

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stripped screws, especially older socket/Allen head screws that have been secured with Loc-Tite, are very common. The easiest way I've found to remove screws from both scope rings and bases is to drill through the head until it separates from the screw body. The ring top or scope base can then be lifted off & the remainder of the screw easily removed. Yes, you have to be careful in clamping a scope in a machine vise and go slow with the drill to prevent damage to the ring or base. The whole procedure takes a minute or two. Given the small size of a #6 or #8 screw and that the stripped head is inside a counterbore which cannot be damaged, I have not been able to satisfactorilly remove a screw with carbide burrs in a Dremel tool or conventional screw extractors. Sorry I cannot recommend a do-it-yourself solution, but careful work in a drill press or milling machine will quickly remove the screw.
Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks
whats a fair price to have someone do it?

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogers method is one that has worked for me on broken/stripped screws. Actually, you don't have to be a rocket scientist or have as drill press. If you're careful and can set the subject part up in a secure holder (maybe a padded bench vise), you can accomplish the surgery with a hand-held drill. Just be sure to use one with a variable speed control and start out very slow an careful. The rounded-out hex head recess makes a perfect guide for the drill bit. Be sure that the bit you select is smaller than the inside threads of the screw holes in the ring.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako75, I have had to drill the heads off the screws of my Optilock rings on 3 or 4 occassions. I just used a drill bit that was about the same size as the hex insert in the screw head. I don't remember the exact bit size, it was probably 1/8" or thereabout, maybe smaller. I used a handheld power drill and didn't have any problems at all. Once the screw head pops off and you have the top ring half free, you can remove the rest of the screw with a pair of plyers or vise grips.

You should consider trying a set of Conetrols for your Sako. I've got them on one of mine and I really like em'.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote