Find
Notify
Tools

A gun smith who rebarrels Rem 7600's??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a gun smith who rebarrels Rem 7600's

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Do a search for 7600,760,742 and 7400 rebarrel. You might find something. It seems like I have read on here of some one who does it any way.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can do it at home, there is a nut holding the barrel on.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can do it at home, there is a nut holding the barrel on

bsflag bsflag

If it were that easy every gunsmith would be doing them. I would rather do 5 bolt guns than 1 760. I do them for myself & they are no walk in the park I can assure you!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltloop:
Is there a gun smith who rebarrels Rem 7600's

Check with Carl at Accuracy Systems 303-369-1569 I think he does them.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the historically correct Redfield scope and the correct Weaver rings, I need a 760 to go with them. I will get the next good one I see at a gunshow.

I will probably leave it stock, but just out of curiosity, what cartridges will feed in the 760?

I know for a Mauser I have to make some cuts:
1) Shank
2) shoulder
3) thread relief
4) breech face
5) end of shank relief
6) 55 degree V threads
7) chamber

For a Sav 99 I have extra cuts:
1) Shank
2) shoulder
3) thread relief
4) breech face
5) end of shank relief
6) chamber
7) bolt face relief
8) extractor relief
9) feed finger relief
10) hanger dovetail
11) square threads

So what extra cuts do 760s get?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have 3 rem 760 and 1-7400.
35 rem a 30/06 and a 243..
The 7400 is in 270.
all feed good and the only problem was with the 35. it had some junk in the chamber, pulled the barrel and have not had any more trouble.
Just make sure the chamber is clean

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beltloop, there probably is not a gunsmith that will change the barrel in a 7600. Why? Because the barrel has the locking lugs machined into the breech of the barrel. Engage the bolt head into to lugs and your headspace is set. If you polish the chamber, re-chamber, or change the barrel , you have to set the headspace. Now you need a bucket of bolt heads with different lengths from the lugs to the face of the bolt in order to try them in your firearm until you come up with the correct headspace. Remington is probably the only gunsmith facility that can afford to do this.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag
The m7400 is no different to rebarrel than the m760, just the number of locking lugs are different. I have rebarreled probably 25 M760's in the past, mostly to .25-06 before remington started to make them in that caliber. You don't "need a bucket full of bolt heads", you use the origional and make very
CAREFUL measurements. Also a M700 barrel is basicly the same contour and by recutting the rear of the barrel can very easily installed on a M760/M7600. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shortshot:
beltloop, there probably is not a gunsmith that will change the barrel in a 7600. Why? Because the barrel has the locking lugs machined into the breech of the barrel.

Where did you read that??? Roll Eyes

The barrel extension and mounting bracket are separate pieces from the barrel. The only difference between rebarreling a bolt gun and the 7600 is making room and attaching those pieces.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The lug abuttments are in the barrel extension that screws onto the barrel not the barrel itself. Thats the piece at the far left in the photo. This is tightened dog tight. The trick is to get it off without ruining it in the process. The easiest way is just to sacrifice the factory barrel with a relief cut to relieve the tension. When you screw that piece on your new barrel it had better be tighter that hell or else it starts turning counter clockwise (un-screwing ) when the rifle is fired.! It does it just a tiny wee bit at a time. You really have to watch for it. I put a witness mark as a reference point. I rebarrel my 760 to a 338/06 using a Lothar Walter barrel. It shoots 5/8" groups @ 100 yds with 200 & 210 gr pills. I haven't tried anything heaver because i don't need anything heavier. I really love this combo. Its just labor intensive.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote