Find
Notify
Tools

Oh what to do..........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted
I resently purchased a sporterized Remington 03A3, so far things are looking pretty good. The only holes drilled where for a Lyman peep sight which came with it. It had one of the wurst paint jobs I have ever seen but after stripping it off revealed the original parkerizing. The military barrel had been turned in what looked to be a blender with a front sight ramp soldered on. It was stocked in a Fajen walnut stock which might still be salvagable.

I dont tink the bolt is Remington, there is no r stamp but does have what looks like the # 1 stamped on it, all other parts have the r stamp except for the low scope Buler saftey.

It will stay a sporter with only the Lyman peep sight, a new barrel will be in order along with a new front sight.

I havent decided on the metal finish, blue or parkerize.
I will also be on the hunt for a milled trigger gaurd with hinged floor plate.
The bolt handle will stay the same since no scope will be mounted on it, at least not until my eyes tell me other wise.

Now for the hard part, what cartridge/chamber? I have enough 30.06's to know I dont want another, but this action beggs for that round.
I might just have to rebarrel one of my other 30.06's and keep this rifle the original caliber

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
First I was going to suggest a 25-06, but actually I think I'd go with a 35 Whelen.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would reckon the 9.3x62 would be the round to go for, great perfromance from a standard length type round.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There is not a great deal of point in a hot rod round on an iron sighted rifle so in my case I would be looking at 8MM/06 on up to a 40 caliber on the -06 case or 9.3 x 62 but thats just me.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say the whelen is the way to go.

Let me know if you find a place for hinged floorplates for these. I know there is milled bottom metal on E-bay sometimes for them, 3 went last week in auctions. I also think that Jim Wisner makes a hinged floorplate.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote