Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "Primitive" front sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Go to www.dixiegun.com click on general merchandise. (Top left)

Scroll down and select sights,scopes and mounts. (Bottom center)

You will find four pages of sights listed. There are several primitive front sights with silver blades listed, both shaped and "blank". Scroll through and select the ones that are under $10. These will be your basic front sites. Make sure you check out all options. I particularly like the EP1402 Tedd Cash "blank" front sight found on page 3, it has a brass base and a thick (.080") silver blade. $3.75

You can even get your own steel or brass base and solder your own silver blade in. EP0407 (brass) or EP0408 (steel) can be found on page 2, $6.95

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Build up some solder on top of the old sight and file it to shape.

You can crown the barrel with some compound and a larger bullet or even a hand held grinding wheel.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, I have an old military .50-70 rolling block that still has some life in her, but I cannot begin to use the tiny military barleycorn at the end of a 36-inch barrel. The barrel needs trimming anyway because of some serious dings near the muzzle, so a new front sight is required. I am thinking of a simple coin-silver blade with a flat surface on the face that I would see through the rear sight and that will stand out against dark bison hair. Not sure how to have it attached though, as the round military barrel is not terribly thick, but a careful dovetail would probably work. Anybody have any experience putting a simple, practical, visible front iron sight on an original black powder cartridge rifle for hunting purposes? It needs to be period correct. If using coin silver, I'll make sure the dime was minted prior to the rifle -- 1872. :-)

Posts: 16632 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote