New
Find
Notify
Tools

stockfor a browing safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i just got a browing safari with a cracked stock between the trigger and mag well i am looking at houge overmoled stocks would the one for mauser 98s work?? the rifle was mfg. in 1963

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an FM mauser that I bedded into a Butler Creek stock that worked out quite nicely. I did a glass bedding job and had to do a bit of fitting to make it work, then used expamding foan imsulation to fill the hollow in the butt stock and put two layers of electrical tape on the barrel, masked off the forearm and foam filled that hollow as well.
I like the feel of the Butler Creek stocks and just bedded a Mauser chambered to the .358 Win. in another BC stock. I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot that one yet, but the FN 30-06 is one of the most accurate rifles I own, bar none. Other than the stock, it's a strictly stock J.C. Higgins Model 50 with a 4X Leupold.
I've never used one of the Hogue's so haven't a clue on them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That stock is quite easy to fix and much more asthetically pleasing than one of those synthetics. Inlet a piece of #10 threaded rod across the crack and fill it and the crack with epoxy. You are good to go. If you don't want to do that, I'll give you $25 for it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i think where you'll run into problems is the double radius barrel in the standard Hogue stock. I haven't seen many hogues, but with such a small minority of mausers having those radius steps, i doubt Hogue inlet their stock for them.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote