New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throat on a Model 70 270 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been playing with my new 270 WSM stainless. Measured several makes of bullets for OAL. Winchester really shortened the throat on these. I have a quarter of an inch of magazine left at max OAL. That seats a 150 grain bullet deep into the case. How much of a job is it to cut the throat deeper? I don't mean a home made job, I mean a gunsmith. Does the barrel have to come off the action?

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the rifle shoot now? You didn't buy a 7mm RUM so some tiny bit of capacity will not make it a 7mm STW anyway if you follow me.

I would use the rifle just as it is if it's reliable and acceptable in it's groups. Changing the COL may affect the feeding for instance.

On the other hand if the rifle is not accurate as is you might have the barrel pulled and threads and action face squared and the lugs lapped. At that time the throat could be tweaked.

The M 70 is still worth building on for sure but if it aint broke don't fix it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Roger,

In short, yes. In order to keep things concentric, centered and neat, the barrel "should be" off the action and the operation should be performed in a lathe. No big deal, perhaps $50.00 to adjust the throat from start to finish. Be sure to provide the gunsmith a dummy round with the bullet of your choice seated where you want it so that he can extend the throat precisely.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage,

I haven't fired it yet. I'm still in the courting stage with this particular piece. A man can't rush these things. It's a question that crossed my mind and I need answers.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RogerK;
My Coyote is about the same but I look at it as a bonus! Gives me plenty of room for throat erosion!
BTW mine shoots great! Easy to get MOA @ 100 yards!
[Cool]

[ 04-18-2003, 20:54: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote