BLUEING
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
The various forms of nitride do some things well but they aren't magic.

It does provide improved corrosion protection and it can prevent things like cleaning rod damage.

It will not prolong your throat life. Dave Tooley did some borescope pics of this. The gist is that it can't alter the melting point of the steel. The crackled look at the throat is happening because the burning propellant is above the melting point of the steel. Add in some friction, carbon getting ground into softened steel...and you get throats that look like a dry lakebed.

They did a bunch of AI barrels on precision rifles and found that there was no meaningful gain in barrel life related to round count. The throat still got chewed up for the same reasons.

It does provide corrosion resistance though...

There were some other pitfalls...things like break in prior to doing it, residue in the bore after having it nitrided (depending on the method used), dimensional shift on some barrels, and so on.

You are wrong.

You are wrong.

No, you are wrong.

No, you are wrong.

Do whatever...it's your barrel and money.

I'm correct on the melting point of steel. It doesn't change because you nitride it.

The actual life of a barrel, measured in the volume of time it is exposed to a bullet in the bore, is minuscule. That time is where the damage is going to happen...and it happens first in the throat where the temp gets the highest and stays the longest.

Go ask Frank on the hide. He tried it as well. There is no extension in barrel life overall. It just improves corrosion resistance and similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
The various forms of nitride do some things well but they aren't magic.

It does provide improved corrosion protection and it can prevent things like cleaning rod damage.

It will not prolong your throat life. Dave Tooley did some borescope pics of this. The gist is that it can't alter the melting point of the steel. The crackled look at the throat is happening because the burning propellant is above the melting point of the steel. Add in some friction, carbon getting ground into softened steel...and you get throats that look like a dry lakebed.

They did a bunch of AI barrels on precision rifles and found that there was no meaningful gain in barrel life related to round count. The throat still got chewed up for the same reasons.

It does provide corrosion resistance though...

There were some other pitfalls...things like break in prior to doing it, residue in the bore after having it nitrided (depending on the method used), dimensional shift on some barrels, and so on.

You are wrong.

You are wrong.

No, you are wrong.

No, you are wrong.

Do whatever...it's your barrel and money.

I'm correct on the melting point of steel. It doesn't change because you nitride it.

The actual life of a barrel, measured in the volume of time it is exposed to a bullet in the bore, is minuscule. That time is where the damage is going to happen...and it happens first in the throat where the temp gets the highest and stays the longest.

Go ask Frank on the hide. He tried it as well. There is no extension in barrel life overall. It just improves corrosion resistance and similar.
You ARE wrong. You are relying on second hand information.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From folks who build the best precision rifles on earth and have quantified performance data based on first hand testing and observation...

Dave is who AI uses in North America to chamber their barrels...

I have a couple of melonited barrels on gas guns. They work fine...but it’s not magic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From folks who build the best precision rifles on earth and have quantified performance data based on first hand testing and observation...

I have a couple of melonited barrels on gas guns. They work fine...but it’s not magic.

Relying on info from Snipers hyde? What a joke! My post from a Military Armor that did extensive testing shows that you are "WRONG". Before Ed Shilen passed away, he borescoped my barrels and confirmed their condition. I guess the guy on snypers hyde knows more than Ed on barrels. I've known Dave Tooley for many years and do respect him, but did he tell you a barrel needed to be broke in? I don't think so! Call him and ask about break in.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It may not be magic, but it'll darned sure extend throat/barrel life, besides the other benefits of corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote