New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a differance in 700 and 710 actions
 Login/Join

<NEW SHOOTER>
posted
I am trying to have a rifle built, and found a 710 fairly cheap.

posted Hide Post
Stay away from the 710. The barrels are not screwed on, they are pressed on and bonded. The 710 is a low-grade entry-level rifle made with low-production costs in mind. It's targeted toward people who wouldn't know a piece of crap from a real rifle.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
As much different as between a Corvette and a wheelbarrow....full of manure....with a hole in it......and a flat tire.......and bad bearings......and only one handle......

The 710 is not even a good decoy anchor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just last week I helped a friends son sight in his Rem 710 in 270. He used standard winchester 130gr. power points. The rifle shot very good groups. The bolt was a little stiff, but the rifle was new. Still it is an entry level gun, choose something else for custom work.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your gun dealer. Ask to see a 710. Work the action. Do the same for a 700. Nuff said.

I wouldn't own a 710 is they gave them away for the same reason I wouldn't marry a hooker.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
NEW SHOOTER
I will be very straight with you. 710 is the worst "elchepo" of what I have seen in a long time. Better to save the money and a bunch of trouble to thinking about it at all.

As said before the reciver and barrel are sleved to one piece and then bonded, no easy rebarrelings here [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I think you got the point now
Cheers

/ JOHAN

[ 08-23-2002, 00:39: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on now, I seriously think there is enough junk attached to the 710 to properly hold a regular deek on a wind free day... And I think that I would take all that they would give me if they were to give them away, I think I could get their "actual" value out of them even though them quarters are a pain in the rear to roll up before ya take them to the bank... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone as far as how the 710 Remington rifles are junk. I wish they would come out with a 60 degree bolt rifle in something like a 700 action.

The gun shop I frequent often got one in and took it out of the box. Opened the action and the bolt handle broke off. What a P.O.S. Not too impressed.

Couldn't even use it for a good boat oar. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
After J. Belk's "colorful" (and accurate!!) characterisation of the 710, no further comment is called for!! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
710 is shame , if you need a strong rifle low cost and ACCURATE purchase a SAVAGE it is a real rifle and not junk as REM 710 .

Even if SAVAGE are not pretty there are GOOD .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
How many of you people that are bad mouthing the 710 are doing it from hands on experience? I dare say not very damn many. They are not made to be re-barreled into custom rifles. They are produced to be a safe and reasonably accurate entry level rifle for the person who does not want or need custom equipment and most likely has no desire to reload or take the sport to the next level as most of us do on this board. For a kids first rifle or the person who hunts once a year and puts it away until the next season how could you possibly beat the 710 for value recieved for dollar spent. The novice has everything required in a readily available package.
LIGHTEN UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
If Remington wanted a cheap entry level gun, they should have re-introduced the 788, instead of introducing some cobbled up POS that adds nothing to the gun community: The 710 is basically a disposable gun, that when the barrel gets fubar'd you have to chunk the whole gun. If the owner evolves and wants to do something different, they have to get rid of the whole gun, not just rebarrel it. What a bunch of crap. I'm sure some accountant made it look real nice, that people would ultimately end up buying more new guns, so Remington would make more money. Problem is, I think people will continue buying new guns, just not 710's, and maybe not Remingtons either.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightnin:
How many of you people that are bad mouthing the 710 are doing it from hands on experience? I dare say not very damn many. They are not made to be re-barreled into custom rifles. They are produced to be a safe and reasonably accurate entry level rifle for the person who does not want or need custom equipment and most likely has no desire to reload or take the sport to the next level as most of us do on this board. For a kids first rifle or the person who hunts once a year and puts it away until the next season how could you possibly beat the 710 for value recieved for dollar spent. The novice has everything required in a readily available package.
LIGHTEN UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!

If you think a POS like the 710 represents 'value', then you must have thought the YUGO was a good car! [Wink]

The Savage costs about the same as the 710 and is light years ahead of it in terms of quality (and they're amazingly accurate).

No, Remington did their customers a disservice by marketing a gun that will more likely leave the buyer wondering why they bought it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Lightnin,

While I have not shot the 710 I do have "hands on experience", I have handled it. That was enuf for me!!!

You say, "For a kids first rifle or the person who hunts once a year and puts it away until the next season how could you possibly beat the 710 for value recieved for dollar spent. "

Well, in my neighborhood, a scoped Savage sells for about $400 so does the 710. The Savage is down right beautiful next to the 710 and has a much better reputation. And, I personally think the Savages are ugly.

Also, if you shop at Wallmart you can buy a synthetic Rem 700 for about $300. The same scope that they equip the 710 with sells for a tad over $50 there too. That leaves the rings and bases which certainly can be purchased for the remaining $50. So, if a person wants a quality entry level rifle they can have one for the same price that the 710 sells for. That's how you can possibly beat it.

-Mike

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
For the entry level person with $400 to spend, $250 for a used 700 or so in '06, with another $150 for steel mounts and a 44 mag scope is a 1000% better solution than the 710 with aluminum rings and its rinky-dink scope. And I don't like 700's...... JMO, Dutch

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
What part of "entry level" don't you understand here? The 710 is not meant to be smithed into anything other than what it is anymore than a Yugo can be turned into a Ferrari. If you want to make alterations to your equipment or have the option of a re-barrel somewhere down the road then by all means buy a Savage or a 700 or a model 70 or whatever pegs your fun-meter.
When Remington brought out the 788 I remember the armchair experts crying and moaning about what a POS it was at the time. How about the 600s and 660s that people wouldn't use for jack handles when they came out? How many truckloads would you like to have today?
Z1r, I wouldn't buy so much as a tent stake from Wal-mart or k-mart either one. I will support the people that promote the shooting sports in their entirety and not just what they can make quick buck on. Screw the discount houses that refuse to sell what I need.
George S, "Value" is what you get when you put your money down and buy something that performs as advertised. The 710 does that. It may not be the best value but for the market that it is aimed at it is indeed a value. I run a rifle range here in Prescott, AZ and I see them all on a daily basis and the 710 performs as advertised.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Gee Lightnin,

Seems you are really mad that people don't like the 710.

The original post asked if it was a suitable platform to build a rifle from. The answer is no.

Now, I too am not pleased with Walmart's policies and don't shop there but I do know that many of the people buying their 710's will get them there. So, while they're there why not steer them in the right direction toward either a 700 or Savage? Surely you won't argue that those rifles represent just as real a value to the new shooter? And, should they decide at a later date that they like shooting enough to want a better rifle they already have a platform to build from.

-Mike

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Z1r,
You are absotively, posilutely 100% correct that the Savage or 700 is a far better platform if a person ever has any intentions of doing anything with a firearm other than shooting it and putting it away till next season. I would never ever entertain thoughts of myself owning a 710 and I could not care less if Remington ever sells another one as long as they are in business. It certainly doesn't piss me off whether anybody likes the 710 or not. I was merely stating facts as I know them to be from my somewhat unique position as a rangemaster. I have seen dozens of these things at the range here and have yet to see a bad example. They all without exception have performed as advertised and for a certain portion of the shooting public they represent a "value".

posted Hide Post
Let's assume:
'Rifle A' costs $400 and 'Rifle B' costs $400;
'Rifle A' has a reputation for surprising accuracy and 'Rifle B' doesn't because it wasn't designed that way;
'Rifle A' is designed with low-cost manufacture in mind and 'Rifle B' is too.
'Rifle A' is also designed to give long service and good performance; 'Rifle B' is designed as an 'entry-level' rifle.

Which would you recommend to your friends and family?

George

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Lightin, I still don't agree with you. A 710 is a passable tool for it's purpose. That does not make it a value. For it to be a good value, it has to be either significantly cheaper than an competing tool of equal utility (it isn't), or do it's job significantly better than an equally priced tool (it doesn't).

The 710 is an economic poor value: not only does it not do it's job better or cheaper, it also has significantly higher ownership costs than other rifles. A novice can buy an ADL and get out of it if it turns out shooting doesn't turn his crank. Cost: about $100.

Try selling a 710 for money. Ownership cost of a 710 for a deer season? I'd say $250 or so.

Now, if a guy want's a cheap deer gun, a used 710 for $100, THAT could be a value. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I thought that the Rem 700 ADL synthetic was there cheap entry level gun. I wouldn't consider a 710. I would buy an EAA type mauser before a 710

<Lightnin>
posted
George, There is no question what I would recommend to family and friend alike. Anything but a 710.
Dutch, Now I gotta agree with you on that one. A used 710 for $100.00 and I might even think about buying one.
You gotta love this board. You can agree and disagree with shooters from all over the globe in one day. Ahhhh the wonderful world of electronics.
Thanks Saeed for a great site. Jim

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
By the way the 700 ADL synt is more or less crap too.

None of this guns are guns for real gun freaks like us. I have the a 700 ADL right now because I didn't know much about rifle when I got it. And I can afford anything else right now.

Of course you could get a new barrel, stock, trigger, clean up the bolt, etc. and make the 700 into a decsent gun.(It will involve removing most of the stuff reminton made [Big Grin] )

On the 710 you can't even do that. But if you just need a gun for that 1 week hunt and you are not going to shot it much you could get away with one, but it's just not the thing for us gun freaks.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I want to disagree too. To the poster who said the adl synthetic is a piece of crap. Its the same action as the others after you get rid of that stock boat oar if you need one bad and unscrew the barrel you have an affordable action to build on and you can buy these guns in very good shape for $300 all day.

So for building a semi-custom rifle in the good ole usa it doesn't get much better for me.
[Wink]

<JOHAN>
posted
Lightnin
Don't get me wrong [Wink]
Reading your posts makes me wonder if you have a large share of stocks in remington, or perhaps even works there [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It's better to buy a used rifle in good condition than buy new crap. If you have a gun yo like and the barrel worns out. You want to keep that rifle you like and then a rebarreling is the only way to go. Who loves a 710?

/ JOHAN

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
George, There is no question what I would recommend to family and friend alike. Anything but a 710.
Dutch, Now I gotta agree with you on that one. A used 710 for $100.00 and I might even think about buying one.
You gotta love this board. You can agree and disagree with shooters from all over the globe in one day. Ahhhh the wonderful world of electronics.
Thanks Saeed for a great site. Jim

lightnin,
has you're prescription run out or what? why not buy a worn out 722 or 700, model 70, or any thing else and have more in the end, than a 710, did i get the numbers right?did i get it right that they are gluing the receiver to the barrel, if thats the case i'll scratch the one i had on my CHRISTMAS list. with the many millions already produced why even look at the junk! next they'll be classified as SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS, i'm sorry REMINGTON has resorted to the DISCOUNT mentality. they once had the accuracy world by the nuts.
sincerely,
dennis hepner

<Lightnin>
posted
Why don't you people read a post in its entirety before you jump in the middle of somebodies shit! I don't own stock in Remington and I don't work for Remington and my prescription hasn't run out. I don't give a big rats ass whether they ever sell another of the pieces of shit or not. I would never consider owning one and don't care who likes them or don't like them. I would much rather rebuild a wore out 700 than have a truckload of 710s but for someone who don't care about all that stuff the 710 just might represent a GODDAMN VALUE! [Mad]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right, Lightin. The 710 is a well designed, easily manufactured, entry level tool. I see it for the person that wants to try hunting. Young fellow can take one paycheck and buy a scoped rifle and a couple boxes of cartridges. Same fellow can get by with a "made in China" hammer and "nail assortment" to do repairs on his mobile home. He doesn't want to learn all we know and waste time chasing used, unknown, rifles. The 710 is quite interesting from a manufacturing standpoint but will never be sought after as a donor action. It is functionally superior to the 740/7400 family of rifles and probably safer than an old M70 hand-me-down. And the owner gets a NEW RIFLE in a common caliber.
I have a number of fine shooting 700s, all accurized and custom barreled by me, in my shop. And I have opinions.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.....they both say remington....
and that's about it.
jeffe

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Finally someone gets the point. Jay in Idaho and Jeffeosso thank you both for reading the whole thread before jumping in. Jim

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Finally someone gets the point. Jay in Idaho and Jeffeosso thank you both for reading the whole thread before jumping in. Jim

lightnin,
what happens when cleaning solvent softens up the glue?
i've heard REMINGTON has changed hands, if that is true, it equates to AMF taking over H-D,no.
it all boils down to corporate greed, without concern for the end result.
sort of like the mexican PT cruisers.
dennis