Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to paint a barrel?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a barrel that could use a good cleaning up. It is a standard blued barrel. Is there a type of black paint I could use that would be super strong and maybe help with heat?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might look into Cerakote or other similar finish. None I'm aware of help with heat though.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local auto parts store. They should have exhaust manifold (header) paint, specifically for high heat applications. VHT is the brand that comes to mind, but there are others.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have in your area a Hobby Shop that caters to model airplane builders/enthusiasts, etc., they generally carry a brand of spray cans of paint branded 21stCentury and reason model builders use it is that it is highly resistant to any types of fuel, oils, etc. I think the model airplane engines use a somewhat stout fuel that will melt most paint and of course they get somewhat warm to boot. It reuires that you let it completely dry before handling, but once sprayed on it is there to stay. Comes in various colors, military OD, Navy Gray, Earth Brown, D. Tan, etc. Good stuff and I use it on my XC bolt gun in gray and it is more of a working rifle and handled a lot and the paint stays on very nicely. Also advise using in well ventillated area for it is strong in fumes.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip on that paint!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gas Grill Matte black paint.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Ceramic paint similar to or the same as Powder coating ( just application and materials are different or can be .

Without further confusion check with your local powder coating source , remember powder is

250-300 degrees application temp normally and won't effect gun steel .

http://usceramiccoatings.com/

http://www.diamonex.com/?gclid...Wvop4CFR4HagodRS_7mA

After running an engine up to temp, exhaust gets HOT touch a header burn yourself .

With Ceramic don't happen , shut off engine and you can almost immediately grab the coated exhaust .

After 30 seconds you can firmly grip the exhaust without much discomfort .

I have used it myself many many times , good to 1800 degrees intermittently 2100 on our

formulation maybe not those listed above . Welcome to my world .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the cerakote on a savage and I am very satisfied. but you do have to blast the steel, first.

I have also used VHT solvent-resistant engine enamel on various parts and have been quite satisfied. it is cheaper to do and redo, but not as tough as the cerakote.

posted Hide Post
Can ceramic coatings be done in my garage? I would like the toughest coating I can put on the gun myself.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's what I did. I used an airbrush to apply it and my kitchen oven to bake it. Of course, I have a blast cabinet. The instructions call for something like 180 or 220 grit, all I could find at HF was 120 or something, I do remember it was coarser than recommended. So I just used a light touch.

definitely something you can do at home.

here's a bad cell pic. it's a savage 11FCXP3 in .308, I cut the barrel to 19", skim bedded it, painted the stock with krylon fusion camo green. I used the cerakote sniper grey, it looks great with the green. the graphite was a close second choice. cerakote will send you samples if you request them. I wanted a beater rifle I would not cry about when it got wet or scratched. I am very pleased.

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Its called POWDER COATING.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://commercialceramic.com/guncoatings.aspx

fficial&channel=s&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search#client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=hp&q=ceramic+gun+coatings&aq=0&aqi=g1&oq=ceramic+gun+coating&fp=a92da727ef84a59f" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/webhp?cl...&fp=a92da727ef84a59f

http://www.larsontactical.com/id23.html

My personal advice would be send it out and have it done and be DONE with it .

Some people don't mind re applications of some painting system , I'm not one of those .

When I disassemble a firearm I want to do it once . As it's necessary to re assemble re scope sight in Etc.

So I'm a stickler for Durable Coatings . I do my own Parkerizing and salts bluing along with all my

painting needs because I have the equipment and 40 years experience .

Ceramics I don't do as it requires a higher Temp oven than I have , so I send it out and the outfit who

does mine is 1 St. Class .Their so reasonable I would be foolish to invest in my own set up . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
http://commercialceramic.com/guncoatings.aspx

http://www.larsontactical.com/id23.html

My personal advice would be send it out and have it done and be DONE with it .

Some people don't mind re applications of some painting system , I'm not one of those .

When I disassemble a firearm I want to do it once . As it's necessary to re assemble re scope sight in Etc.

So I'm a stickler for Durable Coatings . I do my own Parkerizing and salts bluing along with all my

painting needs because I have the equipment and 40 years experience .

Ceramics I don't do as it requires a higher Temp oven than I have , so I send it out and the outfit who

does mine is 1 St. Class .Their so reasonable I would be foolish to invest in my own set up . archer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Gas Grill Matte black paint.

I can't get this one blued until spring so it got the Barby paint for now.

Also on the aluminum bottom metal

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just paint it with Rustoleum... sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Just paint it with Rustoleum...

That is what Phil Shoemaker did to the 458 that he uses while guiding for brown bear.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote