Notify
Tools

Removable re-zero scope mounts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted
Hey all,

I imagine this question is full of different ideas and opinions, but what the heck.
I am planning out my first rifle build and I am down to mounts and options.
The rifle will be a 6.5x55AI on a M98 action. I want the cope mount to hold a Leupold variable 2-7x33. I want the scope to be as low to the receiver as possible with the ability to be removed quickly in the field. The rifle will have backup peep sights.

My first thought was the standard Leupold removable mounts, second was a "Talbot"? I believe....I don't know anything about them though. Their website isn't very descriptive and I have had trouble navigating it....another story.

Since I am not a scope shooter by nature - I am in a position where I am forced to learn though. I need some help with some options on available mounts that are LOW to the receiver and removable - easily.

Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Eric

"He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Posts: 29 | Location: Eastern Oregon, USA | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold QR mounts are as good as any and a great deal less expensive than the Talley and others.

If you have a few seconds to use a screwdriver or even a coin, the standard Weaver mounts are removable and allow the scope to return to zero when re-mounted. In the Weaver mounts, the rihgs are held to the bases by a transverse screw. Loosen that screw, and the scope can be lifted off. Since the rings remain firmly attached to the scope and the bases remain firmly attached to the rifle, the scope settles in exactly to where it was before it was detached. The virtue of the Weaver mounts is that they are very sturdy and relatively inexpensive. Their demerit is that they are ugly.

For both the Leupold QR and the Weaver mount systems, the height of the scope depends on the rings, and rings are available in low, medium, high, and extra-high versions. You need to get the lowest rings that will allow the scope to be mounted without the objective lens bell touching the rifle barrel.

________

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold QR mounts on my 25-284 Mauser, which gives incredible accuracy.

I have taken the scope off and on a couple of dozen times, with no change in zero.

Here is the one advantage the Leupold QR system has over ALL the others: they make extended rings. That is, instead of the scope position being limited by the turrets bumping up against the scope rings, an extension ring can be used to move the occular closer to the shooter.
This is almost (almost) always necessary for the big 30mm tubes with 50mm objectives.

The QR come in low, medium, high, and super high, as well as "extended" in all those heights.

The Super High extended are the most difficult to find.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good feature of the Leupold QR mounts is that the bases each have a hole in them, and the ring has an extension stub or pin that goes into the hole. Thus the rings go into the bases the same way every time. The base has a lever that grabs the extension of the ring and pulls it down tightly into the base. The ring pin has a stop on it that is larger in diameter than the hole, so it is pulled down until it is snug against the base and cannot go any farther. All this makes for a system that returns to zero when the scope is removed and then put back onto the rifle.

I've used the Leupold QR rings and bases on a .375 H&H, and the mount and scope attached to the rifle with it have withstood hundreds of shots without any problem, so I know it is at least strong and sturdy enough for use on a rifle that large and hard-kicking.

The Leupold mounts are also attractive, at least in my opinion.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Talbot and Warne quick release systems on several rifles. In my experience, both systems work very well as far as return to zero and accuracy is concerned. The differences are that the Warne rings are similar to and work like the Talley mounts in that you basically use an attached lever to unscrew the the rings from the bases...fairly quick.

The Talbots work more like the european claw mounts. You push a button then grasp the scope pull back and tip it off...faster than it takes to say it. Down side is that these mounts are slightly bulkier and slightly more expensive than the Warne/Talley systems.

If I am not mistaken Leupold has two different Q/R systems. One is based on their old cam lever system and one is based on the Warne system using Leupold style rings.

I don't know if this clears things up or con fuses it more. But if you have questions regarding the Talbots contact Answer Products, makers of the Answer System muzzle brakes in Davison Michigan. They are direct marketers and installers of the Talbot mounts. I'm not sure but I think Williams Gunsite also in Davison handles them.

Hope this helps.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I use the Warne Premiers (which is too bad that they quit making the Premnier line) and love them. Occasionaly you can find a set on Ebay though. The Premier bases are still made and are used with their new 7.3 series rings. The Premiers have always returned to dead on zero every time for me.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I have warne QD mounts on my cz and a set on an ar-15, and they are dead on after removal. I don't know if they are available for the m98 but it is worth checking into.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
I have warne QD mounts on my cz and a set on an ar-15, and they are dead on after removal. I don't know if they are available for the m98 but it is worth checking into.

Same here.

I have them on a CZ 550 and on a Model 70 match rifle. They work beautifully.

If I had a hunting rifle that did not have a dovetailed receiver, I would go with Leupold's QR system. Very good looking and as others have mentioned, repeatability is second to none.

Avoid Leupold PRW and QRW rings though. They are impossible to install on a scope without scratching it all to hell. What's worse, the way they tighten tends to leave creases on scope tubes. At least mine did. Never again.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
These have always worked for me :-) B&L w/kurharsky rings.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, several come to mind but I have never had any problems with Leupold QRW's. Same with the QR's. I have used quite a few brands and the Talbot's and Leupold Mk4's are rock solid but the are "butt ugly" and heavy. Warne and Talley's are good mounts, I dislike the Tally rings as they "Must" be lapped or they scratch the hell out of the tube.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
Wow,

Learn something new everday! I have been so far removed from the scope arena that there has been a lot of technology and products out there that I never knew existed. Isn't the internet grand? thumb

I really appreciate the insight and advice - it is a lot to think about. For me I am looking for a system that is LIGHT. My body doesn't like heavy guns anymore, this build is going to be as light as I can conceiveably make it. With that said I want a light mount to go along with a light packer rifle. My friend has Leupold mounts on a custom rifle he had done for him a couple of years ago - he used the dual dovetail mounts, but he used two of the front mounts (front and rear) on the action. This system he used looks awesome - not easily removed though. Once I saw his setup I decided the plain jane Weaver wasn't for me - I have them on every single rifle I own that wears a scope.

From what I gleaned from the suggestions the Leupold Quick-release is "cosmetically ok" and fairly light compared to others mentioned. I heard via "expert chit-chat" around the gun counter that this system isn't a repeatable zero. This is why I was asking for others - The Talbot system does intrigue me though, but the scope height in the pictures I have seen are always set - well...High. Not acceptable for me.

RichJ.
What is the mount in your picture? I am not familiar with the nomenclature (spell)?
Looks like a rock solid mount from what I see!

Again - thanks for the input everyone. If anyone thinks of another not mentioned please let me know. I am still researching and weighing decisions. I have time to change my mind in other words!
THanks
Eric

Posts: 29 | Location: Eastern Oregon, USA | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Apel schwenk mount on all my rifles and they are great -pricey but they work. I might be trying Talleys for my 8x60S.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, take a look at the Warnes. These rings may just meet your needs. The rings come in Low, Medium, and High and will mate to standard Weaver pattern bases. They also make direct mount rings for the likes of Ruger, Sako, and CZ.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Eric

They were made by Baush & Lomb in the 70's. The rings are compatable to the B&L mounts and made by Kurharsky. They haven't been made in many years.
To bad really.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note on an aspect you didn't mention, but will come up. If you go with a peep/receiver sight, you will have to carry the peep assembly with you unless you have one of those fancy pop up peeps that goes on your bolt or is part of you base system. I have found that a standard sight system suffices if you have to take the scope off in the field. If you have over night to make your adjustments, a receiver sight is fine. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I like G&H and Jaeger QD side mounts. They detach fast, return to zero, and you can use a receiver sight with them because there are no bases on the top of the receiver to block the line of sight.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody mention the EAW mounts? I may have missed it but they are certainly among the best ones. Spendy but good. Also, I do like the Leupold QD's but, like all the rest, do not take into account the difference in manufacturing tolerances between rifles of the same make. this difference can cause torque applied to the scope which will influence accuracy and return-ability. The only way to make sure of spot-on repeatability is to make your scope bases to the rifle and then mill the dovetails while they are attached to the action, assuring they point in the right direction. The rings should also be lapped in and even have the scope bedded to the rings. Lotsa work, but fail safe.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weavers work as well as any and are readidly available.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight again everyone,

I realize I need to "carry" the receiver sight with me while in the field. Actually receiver sights depending on the make and model may not work well for my situation. I am so used to open sights that switching to scopes and peeps is a learning experience. I just had a right eye injury last year and now have an interocular lens replacement in that eye. This creates a problem seeing open sights entirely.

Since I am so comfortable with open style sights I want that option available in an "emergency" or in close quarters brush hunting. This rifle build will be my "do all" rifle and I am retiring my magnums to lesson the impact to my eye - that lens has popped out and caused more injury when I get jarred to hard.

Anyway, Quick removeable with repeatable zero and low mounts are my requirements. I have even considered the peep option on the striker - I guess this is a Rigby style peep? I wonder if this style will get over the bases with the line of sight?

Anyone have any experience with these?
I have been checking out everyone's suggestions as I get time....lots to look at!
Thanks again
Eric
Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
I'd suggest a G&H side mount given your situation. I have them on my old, classic M70's in 270 and they work well. I have a Jaeger on my 300HH M70 and don't like it because I don't think it is as solid as the G&H. The G&H is expensive, but because it mounts to the side of the receiver, when the scope comes off, the top of the rifle is absolute clear which permits mounting both scope and peep low. In fact to keep things simple, based upon the way mine works, the old guys just put the receiver all the way down, and picked a front sight that left it "on." No questions about zero, just push it all the way to the bottom, and you're good to go. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Swarovski Rail system? Just wondering because I'm a Swaro fan and in theory this sounds great, but not sure about the reality.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RichJ,
I know its about mounts, but I am curious now as to what brand rifle that is that you posted,that has the WeatherbyMkV type bolt flutes & walnutstock?

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Gotogirl3,
I just acquired a Swaro PVI-2 (latest generation) with the new rail. It shares all the advantages of classic rail scopes but is way more easy to mount. No more crossscrews holes to drill in the rail, just position the scope (unlimited eye relief) and tighten a locking screw underneath the rail.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
I hate to sound like an idiot but....

Who makes the G&H mounts?
I would like to check them out and see what they are....but I dunno what the acronym stands for!? Confused

The thought of having the receiver "clean" after scope removal is a pretty nice concept I think! Unless I totally missed the boat reading the posts...been known to do that ya' know.

Thanks
Eric

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Griffin and Howe out of New York makes the G&H sidemounts. I agree with the others that the G&H is a very strong mount and is great if you want to still be able to use your iron sights. But I can't bring myself to drill at least 3 large holes in the side of a receiver to accommodate the G&H mount. That is the biggest drawback in my opinion is your action ends up looking like swiss cheese and it will also hurt resale value because of the extra holes. It is a good quality mount however.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a Mauser action I'd not be concerned about the holes. For someone wanting a M70, put an add in the classifieds for one with holes and probably a G&H mount already on it. You may even be able to find one with rings. You will see queries frequently about how to get rid of the holes!

I believe G&H are located in Bernardsville, NJ, and bring money! I had to buy a set of rings from an existing mount a couple of years ago, and they were well over $100 for the rings alone. The number for the pres. of the company is 908 766-5171.
kudude

One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate your help everyone!
Now that I have a list of mounts and systems to check out it is time to start making some choices.

If I run into more questions bet on another question from me!

Thanks again! thumb
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
website is griffinhowe.com

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
Hey all again,

I am having trouble finding any info on the Jaeger side mount mentioned as well as the Apel schwenk mount. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Still checking out everything mentioned - any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Eric

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
RichJ,
I know its about mounts, but I am curious now as to what brand rifle that is that you posted,that has the WeatherbyMkV type bolt flutes & walnutstock?

It's a Voere Shikar, that I just sold, in 30-06.. Voere also made the rifle for the Kleingunther K?? series rifles years ago. It's a nice 3 lug 60 degree boltaction with a bolt mounted safety.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G&H is at http://www.griffinhowe.com / Answer Products for the TALBOT mount is http://www.answerrifles.com

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote