New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for the Smithys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lets say I have a friend who ships a gunsmith a gun for repair. The friend then moves to a different state. Does this present any issues with returning said firearm to the person that sent it in to the smith?

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as there is no state laws against it in the state he is moving to, it shouldn't. The gunsmith is still returning the firearm to the person who sent it to him.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Congo, I'm not sure your correct about that. Might want to check into it a bit deeper idaho.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The firearm is being returned to the sending owner. This is perfectly legal. A change of delivery address is not material, barring application of restrictions in the new location.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, my "friend" is looking for a new job out of state and just did not want to have to hassle his smith with this ?

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I THINK you're not right about this...but from memory I can't say for sure...why don't you just call BATF?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have to return to same person, different address, I require a copy of driver license or utility bill with new address on it. CYA!

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I had a customer bring his rifle to me for repair who was temporarily staying in my State while members of his family were being cared for at a medical center. Later he asked if I would ship the rifle to him at his permanent residence in his home state. I did.

Even though the Acquisition and Disposition addresses were different, I logged the firearm in from him, and back out to him. My local BATF agent was fine with that so long as the gun was returned to the person who brought it in.

I occasionally have customers ship me their stuff from their home address and later ask if I will ship it to them at their work address. No big deal. The address the firearm was shipped back to is recorded in my bound book. And, because I'm in the business, I maintain shipping records.

From BATF's web site under FAQ's:

A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote