THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What to seal barrel channel and action cuts of new stock??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to seal barrel channel and action cuts of new stock??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to put my barreled action in my finished stock. But I want to put some sort of sealant (waterproofing) within the stock cuts. What should I use??
Thanks....advice much appreciated.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use tounge oil.

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used everything from marine spar varnish, to urethanes, Tru-Oil, tung oil, and thinned epoxy. They all work to a certain degree, but IMO, it's almost impossible to completely waterproof a wooden stock.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any water thin sealer will work fine.

I do that on a new stock as I finish it, but you can expect to have to do some more inletting before the barrel and action will go back in...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen....I went out and bought "tung oil"....will do.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote