New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rechambering Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents I need help. I have a long action remington barrelled action (280 Remington) that I want to rechamber and rebarrel. I just bought a barrel that was chambered in a 284 Winchester with a long throat. Can anybody give me some chambering suggestions for a long range cartridge? I love the .284 chambering and want something that will really reach out and touch 'em.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm STW or the 7mm RUM if the barrel is long enough. If it's less then 26" forget it. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Hi Alan:

I am a bit biased, but I have always thought a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart (perhaps a Super) would be a really cool round. Cases are a bit hard to come by, but not too bad. Also, I think Conley precision makes 7x61 ammo. Beside, if you got sick of reloading you could always push it out to one of the more common 7mm mags. Just a thought...

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I know that it has become the "boring 30-06 same old thing that everyone else has round" of the 7mm's, but like the 06, the fact is the 7mm RM is just that for good reason. Excellent, flat shooting, powerfull round and youll never have trouble finding components or Data. Go with much more and your getting way into the realm of diminishing returns.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7m/m Remington magnum is a long time favorite of mine, but with some of the newer slow burning powders now available I'd be tempted to try a slightly larger case today.

With that said, I'd try the 7m/m Ultra mag. If it is anywhere near its larger brother(the .338 Ultra)...its a winner.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Dan said, if you're barrel is less than 26", then most of the cartridges that come under the "reach out and touch 'em" heading won't have enough steam to do their job properly.
Tell us more about the barrel(s). Is there a reason you don't just rechamber the 280, and skip the rebarrel part?
If the bbl is 24" I'd go with a STW or Dakota, depending on your politics. Any more powder than that and seems like you're upping the flash and report more than the velocity.
Keep in mind published data for these two are a 140gr at 3450 and 3400 fps, and a 160gr at 3250 and 3200 fps, resp. That ain't bad at all....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing that nobody is taking into account here is that the action is presently a 280, hence "standard" bolt face. All of the Magnum stuff being suggested will require a major modification to the bolt. If you're going to spend that kind of money for a "rechamber", you may as well just buy a new rifle.

As-is, I'd stick with the 280, it's an excellent round. Or, if you really feel the need to re-do something, make it into a 280 Ackley. (If you've got a 284 barrel, why not screw it on? It's an excellent cartridge as well.Seat the bullets long, and you'll find the long action to work great.).

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
Hi Alan:

I am a bit biased, but I have always thought a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart. Cases are a bit hard to come by, but not too bad. Also, I think Conley precision makes 7x61 ammo. Beside, if you got sick of reloading you could always push it out to one of the more common 7mm mags. Just a thought...

I have to agree 7X61 is a really cool round and it is the round Mr Rudolf Sand used to shoot more than 281 types of game with, a really nasty boy [Big Grin]

7X61 Cases are avilable from Norma and they will continue to keep the caliber alive. I know of 7X61 used who have orderd a trim die from Huntingtons soo that you can reform 7mm rem cases easily. Call Buzz Huntington.

MY other option would be a 7mm dakota or a 7X68 wildcat. 7mm wby is also an interesting round.

/ JOHAN

[ 07-18-2003, 21:30: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlanC:
Gents I need help. I have a long action remington barrelled action (280 Remington) that I want to rechamber and rebarrel. I just bought a barrel that was chambered in a 284 Winchester with a long throat. Can anybody give me some chambering suggestions for a long range cartridge? I love the .284 chambering and want something that will really reach out and touch 'em.

Oh, my. The 284 case is fat, and the bolt face is .473". If you magnumize it, you have to turn the bolt face, and the chamber's too fat for 280. Maybe the unmodified 284 is the best choice, although the magazine is probably a little long.

Are there any longer rebated-rim 7mm cases?

Posts: 14597 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
The thing that nobody is taking into account here is that the action is presently a 280, hence "standard" bolt face. All of the Magnum stuff being suggested will require a major modification to the bolt. If you're going to spend that kind of money for a "rechamber", you may as well just buy a new rifle.

I don't think it's that no one is taking it into account, it's just that adding another $40 to a rechamber job is not such a big deal.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
280 improved, if you want anything... the 280 falls within 50 to 75 fps on the 7 rem mag...and beats the load book data on 284, though they are the same case capacity.

i would leave it alone, if it shoots good enough... if you look HARD at your balistics, you'll find it's within 5" at 400 yards of just about every 7 superwhizbangmagnum, whiel burning less powder and having less recoil.

jeffe

Posts: 39610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote