Find
Notify
Tools

Choke Size
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted
I have seen a brass guage you stick in the barrel that will tell you what type of choke you have. I have purchased a few shotguns that I need to find out what type of choke they have. Where can I find it.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's carries the Galazan choke gauge.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...KEY+RING+CHOKE+GAUGE

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SwiftShot:
I have seen a brass guage you stick in the barrel that will tell you what type of choke you have. I have purchased a few shotguns that I need to find out what type of choke they have. Where can I find it.

Those gauges that measure muzzle bore diameter aren't necesarily accurate as to choke. Choke is the constriction under bore diameter, and bores can differ somewhat. The best way to do it is with an inside calliper that you can measure the bore & the choke with to give you the actual constriction. You can get them from Brownells.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Brayhaven said you need to know the difference between the choke and the bore. In 1964 our shop done a lot of boring chokes. The long extension mikes were great, but very slow and not easy to take to a show for checking the chokes. I made a dial indicator type that will check the difference in about 3 seconds. If you need to find out the inside diameter of the bore you can use a 1 in mic across the end points and place the dial back to zero. This tool will show you the chamber length as well as the forcing cone. A swelled chamber can be seen quickly. It will fit all chambers and chokes by bending the ends to meet the size needed. It is not very pretty, but it will work within .001 of a true mic.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Thanks M P thats what I was looking for.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote