New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to put together my first rifle based upon a military 98 Mauser so I have been searching for an action. It will probably be a 7x57. I have found at a pawn shop one that appears to be of pretty high quality. Here's what it says: Receiver ring: "Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909", left side of receiver: "Deutsche Waffen-Und Munitionsfabriken Berlin". The serial(?) number is B-4XXX and is stamped on the action, bolt, floorplate (hinged?) and barrel. The stock has a different serial number (D-6XXX). It appears in excellent shape overall, the receiver appears to be cold blued. I can get it for $125. Should I?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if all you're going to do is strip the gun for the action (ie, toss the barrel, stock, trigger) it's not a bad deal...on the other hand, assuming that the gun is in ideal shape it's pretty nice as it is as well.

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1909's are excellent actions, and $125 sounds like a good price.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
I have decided to put together my first rifle based upon a military 98 Mauser so I have been searching for an action. It will probably be a 7x57. I have found at a pawn shop one that appears to be of pretty high quality. Here's what it says: Receiver ring: "Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909", left side of receiver: "Deutsche Waffen-Und Munitionsfabriken Berlin". The serial(?) number is B-4XXX and is stamped on the action, bolt, floorplate (hinged?) and barrel. The stock has a different serial number (D-6XXX). It appears in excellent shape overall, the receiver appears to be cold blued. I can get it for $125. Should I?

That is a great action!!

[This message has been edited by tsturm (edited 04-07-2002).]

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has a blued receiver then it is not original. All of these guns came with receivers"in-the-white". Determine what chambering it is. Originals were 7.65x53mm
Mauser. Many specimens were rechambered to .30-06. If yours is in its original calibre and is in excellent condition as a military rifle, I would polish the cold blue off the receiver and restore it to original.
Guns like this are worth nearly $300. Now, if its a .30-06, you could re-barrel to 7x57 and have a real sweet rifle. I did this 7 years ago with an Argentine carbine that had a shot-out barrel. I purchased a "new surplus" 7x57 barrel from Numrich Arms for about $35.00. It was made by DWM and was 19 1/2 inches long. I had my "smith" install the barrel, steps and all, forge the bolt and drill and tap for scope mounts. He topped it of with a black parkerized finish. I installed a low scope safety and fitted it to a fully finished monte-carlo stock I bought from Century. It gives me MOA accuracy all day long with handloads. My favorite is 40 grains of IMR 4320 behind a Hornady 139 grain SP. This gives me tight groups, mild recoil and low muzzle blast. Velocity is 2,600 fps. Its great ou to about 250 yards.

Posts: 3690 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a great action and one of the best for Custom Rifles if it hasn't been ground all to hell or fiddled with by a dink. that bluing scares me, so I would suggest having a good smith look it over and advise you...the price is OK for a good one without any pits etc, but check under the wood for pits.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote