New
Find
Notify
Tools

Various 8x57s?
 Login/Join

<JK>
posted
What are the differences between the 8x57 JR, 8x57 JRS, and 8x57 JS? Is anyone of these actually a necked-up 7x57 mauser? Thanks, JK.

<plpetit>
posted
8x57 JR Bullet diameter: .318
8X57 JRS Bullet diameter .323

The R is for Rimmed, both of these cartridges are the Rimmed equivalent of the 8X57 Mauser:

8X57 JS is the WWI and two German military cartridge diameter .323

8x57 J was the original Mauser caliber .318

None of them cans be shot in a 7X57 which is a .284 caliber.

Even if you reduce the neck of a 8X57 to .284 you will not be able to shoot it in a 7X57 chambered weapon because they don't have exactly the same shape.

Hope it helps.

P.L. PETIT

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JK:
What are the differences between the 8x57 JR, 8x57 JRS, and 8x57 JS? Is anyone of these actually a necked-up 7x57 mauser? Thanks, JK.

The original 8x57I (I= Infanterie) was constructed for the german M88 rifle, and had a 220 grains bullet in .318", if I don�t remember falsely. Ten years later the famous M98 was constructed and the M88/ 8x57I cartridge was used for that too.

In the first decade of the 20th century, the germans considered the M88 cartridge with 220 grains bullet too slow, and constructed a new, lighter bullet with torpedo shape. For the planned higher velocities the old M88 .318" barrels had too less rifling to give any accuracy. The grooves had to be cut deeper and the bullet slightly fatter.

The new diameter of the bullet was .323", and the cartridge was called 8x57IS, where the "S" indicates the new measure. The "S" is mostly read as "Spitzengeschoss", but another opinion is "Standard". As metric barrels usually are measured between the lands, the was no change in caliber, which was still 8 millimeter. It is also called "8 mm Mauser".

"R" indicates a cartridges with a rim, or in german "Rand". The 8x57IRS and 8x57IS are identical in shape except the rimmed base.

I would rather call the 7x57 a down-necked 8x57I. In any case you can use 7x57 cases for loading 8x57 and vice versa. Other cartridges based on the 8x57 are 5,6x57, 6,5x57, 9x57, 9,3x57 and the obsolete 6x57 and 10,75x57. Most of these have their rimmed brothers.

Yours,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PL,
Correction, one merely needs to run a 8x57 through a 7x57 die or visa versa....same basic case.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<plpetit>
posted
Ray,

You are wrong, these cartridges don't have exactly the same profile, the shoulders are not exactly at the same place and the base diameter is slightly different, this is valid for the rimmed ones too.

I own these cartrodges and the differnces are clearly visible.

Take a look at Ammoguide to see the differences:

http://www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/runammo.html

P.L. PETIT

<JOHAN>
posted
Hello
Ray is right !! I used to have a 7X57 which I made cases for by necking down 8X57 IS brass. This operation worked JUST fine. The rifle were a Mauser obendorf with double SB made around 1913. Experience........

one of us
posted Hide Post
PL,
No sir you are wrong on that...the 8x57 and 7x57 are of close enough specs that the die will bring the 8 to 7x57 and will require 5 thousands trimming of the 8mm to the 7mm lenth of 2.235, the 8 being 2.240 and I can do that with my fingernail

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Another agreement with Ray. The two cartridges can be F/L resizedand loaded either way. You can also readily make cases for either out of 30/06 brass but it is a bit of bother to do so.
plpetit, you are also correct but the trip through the F/L die quite quickly changes the external dimensions of one cartridge to the other and it works fine, c'est vrai.
Best regards,
'Trapper'

------------------
'Trapper'