Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bedding with Marine-Tex
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
I'm getting ready to do my first pillar bedding job and wondered if you more experienced gentlemen would recommend something other than Marine-Tex?
I've used Acraglass and preferred the working time and consistency of Marine-Tex.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marine-Tex is all that I use.

I tried AcraGlass years ago, and didn't like it a bit.

I'm sure other stuff works too, but after trying Marine-Tex, I've never felt a reason to change.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Probed 2000 out of Score High Gunsmithing out of Albuquerque. You will not be disappointed. It has a good consistency and an excellent working time. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest pluses for Marine-Tex is that it is far less critical in mixing ratio that allot of other epoxies are. You still have to measure or weigh but it is far more forgiving if you ain’t dead on the money in mixing.

I primarily use Devcon products...but I fully admit that Marine-Tex is far easier and forgiving to use and is probably just as strong for all practical purposes.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Marine Tex to anything else...It has less tendency to have air pockets and bubbles. Its just good stuff...The fact that your piller bedding should not effect your bedding..I usually set the pillers in glass before the actual bedding job, that way I have reference marks for barrel/action placement and that makes for a neat job.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:
I'm getting ready to do my first pillar bedding job and wondered if you more experienced gentlemen would recommend something other than Marine-Tex?
I've used Acraglass and preferred the working time and consistency of Marine-Tex.

MLC:

Devcon plastic steel in the two barrel syringe is convenient and works well. The toughest stuff I have ever seen, by far, is Devcon's titanium epoxy putty. It is very hard, tough stuff with a very high compression strength. It is also expensive.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

I entered into a huge debate/discussion on here awhile back about the merits of Devcon Titanium putty. I use it allot and I have yet to find anything that is stronger or more resistant to chipping, flaking, compression, or anything else I would expect epoxy to hold up against.

Great stuff...but you are right about the price!

I also use the Devcon double syringe 5 minute titanium epoxy (not very expensive at all) to glue the pillars in before bedding the action. It also works great for making up custom sized shims/supports for holding weird shaped parts in a milling vise.

I’m sold on Devcon products. They make a semi- flexable epoxy for casting that is great and cures like hard rubber. It makes really nice vise jaws. With a little time and effort you could literally create a rubber buttplate out of this stuff that was molded right off a fancy steel one.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote