Find
Notify
Tools

Readying a rifle for salt water?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
In about 2 weeks I'll be grizzly hunting in Bella Coola.

I'm taking my Brno 602 in .375H&H

It has a synthetic stock, but the metal is of course, blued.

We'll be in a boat on the ocean or on the beach much of the time, what's a good rust prevention procedure for the salt chuck?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In increasing order of durability:
Paste wax
LPS 3 or other corrosion preservative
Clear spray paint, clean it off with paint thinner when you get home.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,

On AR Saeed did a study of rust preventatives. He tested about 5 of more and Shooters choice Rust Preventative was the best tried...

for what its worth...and good luck [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, for the most of my blued guns I apply a paste wax (floor waxes are fine). First degrease then take a propane torch and drive the water off the exposed metal, you will see this when it "turns color" a lighter faint... just brush the torch across the metal dont hold it there. I then apply the wax with a cloth, a couple good buff coats. I sometimes then coat it with natural varnish mixed with motor oil (plain). Water on my blued guns just bead up and roll off.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Oilburner>
posted
What would you do about the inside of the barrel?

<allen day>
posted
I always use Birchwood Casey's Sheath to protect gunmetal surfaces, and I have for over twenty-five years. I haven't found anything better to this day than Sheath when it comes to rust prevention.

I used it last spring in SE Alaska during a spring bear hunt to protect the blued metal on my .416 Remington, and after a week of wet hunting there wasn't a trace of rust anywhere.

I'd let the rifle dry out once we got back to camp, then I'd push a Sheath-impregnated patch through the barrel, wipe down the outside, wipe down the bolt and the inside of the action, then leave it sit in the rack until morning. Before hunting, I'd push a dry patch through the barrel, dry-swab the chamber, and run a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle. Since it gets into the pores of the metal so very well, a mircoscopic amount of Sheath remains behind to protect the metal after you get rid of the excess with the dry patch.

Before the hunt, and before final sight-in, remove the metalwork from the stock and coat the underside, including the action screws and magazine assembly, with Sheath as well.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt sea ducks once a year off the coast of Maine. Salt water on everything. The guide gave me the best advice, take you shotgun into the shower with you when you get home, you cannot wipe salt off, you need to disolve and rinse it. Gun looks fine now after an oiled rag. What ever you do in terms of rust preventative, a good rinse and reoil is wise.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt sea duck in Maine also, and don't do anything different then hunting ducks by my house, I even clean it the same and the old Benelli has never missed a beat or shows any sign of damage. I think you'll be wasting you time applying anything to prevent damage that won't occur.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote