Find
Notify
Tools

Any FAL Builders Out There?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
I realize we mainly discuss custom bolt action rifles here, but I have a new curiosity for semi-autos.

I have wanted some type of FN auto-rifle for a while and I see where there are still part sets available. Out of curiosity, if I were round up and supply all the parts, what would it cost me to have a 'smith assemble them and make a working, accurate rifle out of them? I don't need anything fancy, but I do not want to invest a lot in tooling and time to do it myself and I figure a new used rifle might need some tweeking anyhow.

And who does this kind of work?

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
It cost me about $250, but that price will vary greatly. Look for a smith on FAL Files forums.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy will do the FAL building work, and he has written a book and made a video on how to do it.
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/home.htm

I had a couple of STG-58 Austrian kits on Imbel Brazilian receivers in 1999 that had too much taken off the barrel shoulder. The Gunplumber's book explained how to make it fit.

Anyone who can make a living in the flame rich FALfiles forum environment is a politician too.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Post your question here:
www.falfiles.com
You will find yourseld inundated with information.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best is Randy Kline in Mansfield, Texas (south of Fort Worth). He does a fantastic job, is reasonable, and an allaround nice guy! 817-478-9624. He is on the falfiles as "Sledgehammer". I have built eight or nine FALs and I just took my youngest son to Randy's shop where we had my son build his own rifle while we watched and advised. It was an STG 58 kit and a DSA receiver. Turned out great and my son has a great sense of achievement from building it himself.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful STG58 built by Randy at the shop below. He has a website http://www.cgwguns.com/.

Century Gun Works
1368 Jobs Peak
Gardnerville, NV 89410
gunshak@pyramid.net
Ph: (775) 265-6301
Fx: (775) 265-0520

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<Quote>One of the best is Randy Kline in Mansfield, Texas (south of Fort Worth). He does a fantastic job, is reasonable, and an allaround nice guy! 817-478-9624. He is on the falfiles as "Sledgehammer". I have built eight or nine FALs and I just took my youngest son to Randy's shop where we had my son build his own rifle while we watched and advised. It was an STG 58 kit and a DSA receiver. Turned out great and my son has a great sense of achievement from building it himself.

Mike<Quote>

I agree with Mike, Randy Kline is a straight up guy and he will treat you right! I just picked up an FAL from him a couple of months ago and couldn't be more pleased with it. It's just by luck he's only a couple of miles from me here in Mansfield.....

Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built about 6 FALs, but I have given up on getting them to shoot accurately.

When you look at the AR15 design, you will see a number of reasons that the AR15 is more accurate:
1) bullet mass to rifle mass ratio
2) off bore center line of recoil to shoulder
3) Center of mass of piston, bolt, bolt carrier, and recoil spring are all off bore center.

What the FAL has going for it is:
1) adjustable gas
2) shoots powerful 308
3) keeps products of combustion out of action.

I am not sorry I built the FALs, just sorry I put the effort into accurizing them.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote