Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting trigger on Rem. Mod. 7 question
 Login/Join

posted
I have a new mod. 7 7mm-08 and the trigger weight is fairly heavy and I'd like to lighten it up a bit. Can someone tell me how to adjust the screws on the trigger housing ( 2 in the front and 1 in the rear ) to lessen the weight of pull. Do you just turn them counter clockwise until you reach your desired weight, or is there a special technique used for doing this.
My smitty can do it for $45.00 which certainly won't break the bank, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do myself. Appreciate any knowledgable input anyone might have. Thanks, Y.B.

[ 05-31-2003, 09:15: Message edited by: Yankee Bill ]

Posts: 9 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
web page
This might help.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great link GSP. That was just the ticket I was looking for, appreciate it. Y.B.

Posts: 9 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, now that I've stripped the threads on the over-travel screw and the female threads on the housing trying to adjust the factory trigger,can anyone recommend an after market model?
Any comments on Timney, shilen or rifle basix! Thanks, (not a smitty) Y.B.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Damn, I should have told you to spend the 45.00. How far are you from Lexington, might be able to help you out.
As soon as I can find a Jewel I will have a extra factory trigger.

posted Hide Post
Hey GSP, 10-4 on the $45.00 for the smitty. I was just being stupid and using a screw driver with too long of a shaft. The shaft wouldn't clear the the square flange that hangs down at the bottom of the bbl, below the chamber area, and was turning the screw at a slight angle and I didn't realize until it stripped out some. BTW I'm in Norfolk, Va. :-) is your factory trigger a S/S one?
I'm looking into an after market trigger also, don't think mine can be salvaged. Y.b.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Yes it is stainless, give me a couple days. If you want a after market go with the Timney, much better trigger and easer to adjust.

<ol crip>
posted
Seems to me fellas that Yankee Bill REALLY had no business messing with a trigger. With the experience that I assumed he had from his questions, I would never sent him to the link for triggers. I WOULD HAVE SENT HIM TO A GUNSMITH. Lucky thing he screwed up the trigger before he had an AD and killed someone. [Frown]

No offense to you Yankee Bill, but trigger work should be left to the people that do this kind of work for a living. Yes you could has saved some money if you had paid your Smith the $45, you'd be out shooting instead of waiting. Thank God you screwed up at home instead of at the range. [Roll Eyes]

posted Hide Post
Dear Ol Crip,
Thank you for your concerns about my trigger problem, however, had I not stripped the screw, I can ASSURE you that I would not have killed anyone, including myself. Granted, I didn't use the proper tool for the job, and admittedly that was my fault. And I probably should have taken it to the smitty as well.
I fully realize the serious nature of messing with a trigger mechanism, and the consequences of not doing it properly. I also realize that every trigger that has ever been properly adjusted, has not been done so by a qualified gunsmith either. From the many articles I've read on the internet in the last couple of days concerning this subject it is not something that is overly complicated.
With that being said, had I completed the task myself, I would have also completed All the appropriate saftey checks, in a responsible manner, to ensure that the firearm was in safe operating condition.
I'm a former Deputy Sheriff, as well as ex-military and have been safely handling firearms for over 40 years and never, ever, jepordize the saftey of myself or others, my weapons are NEVER pointed in an unsafe direction weather loaded or unloaded, and NOONE ever handles one of my firearms without me clearing the weapon first.
I STRIPPED A SCREW FOR HEAVENS SAKE, and you've practically got me running around killing people. Seems there are always people willing to make assumptions of others whom they know absolutely nothing about. Sounds to me , ol crip, like you may be a bit SCREWED UP yourself. Have a great day!
No offense taken, Y.B.

[ 06-03-2003, 08:43: Message edited by: Yankee Bill ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire rifle was a Model Seven in 7mm-08, purchased in the mid 80s when they first came out. I had owned the rifle for awhile, and one day when I was home, I decided to try to adjust the trigger pull. Even though I had directions on how to do it, I ended up doing something wrong, and when I would flip the safety off, the firing pin would fall. Needless to say, I cased the rifle and made an appointment with the local gunsmith. He adjusted the pull down to 2.5 pounds, put loctite on the adjustment screws, and the trigger has remained that way ever since... [Wink]

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote