New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel installation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never have seen this discussed although it probably has been; Do those of you who do barrel work use an antiseize on the threads? Just wondering, going into an advanced project for me and want to do it right. Thanks

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
Never have seen this discussed although it probably has been; Do those of you who do barrel work use an antiseize on the threads? Just wondering, going into an advanced project for me and want to do it right. Thanks

I had a most unfortunate encounter several years ago while pulling a Stainless Stalker apart and since then, I use anti-seize on Stainless, and, AR-15's.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I always use a little bit of anti-seize.
As Malm pointed out it is mandatory on stainless.
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
When there is stainless on stainless I use anti-sieze. Stainless on stainless WILL gaul.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
As a suggestion use the nickle based never-seize on stainless to stainless installations.
I did quite an expirement on this some years back and in 410 to 420 SST assemblies the nickled based works better than the copper based, ie you can go to a higher torque level and still get the parts unassembled as needed. The threads will also have a greater tendancy to flex and grip ( as designed) versus gaul and bind.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the replys.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use nickel based anti-sieze on all barrel threads, stainless steel and chrome moly.

Most well known accuracy smiths for AR-15 use blue loctite for barrel assembly but I can't bring myself to do that when you have aluminum to aluminum threads, I use anti-sieze on them too. Rifles assembled that way still exhibit 1/2 MOA, and I can disassemble them with no damage to the threads.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote