New
Find
Notify
Tools

What dovetail angle on scope mounts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I am about to purchase a dovetail cutter for a project, I need to ask what angle is most often used on scope mounting dovetails?

Thanks
Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pyrotec---

You'll need a 3/8x 60 deg for scope mounts, express sights and most other work. I'd rather buy half a dozen cheap imported HSS cutters than one good Carbide. Both break if (when) you turn the feed handle the wrong way. [Smile] [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk, thanks.

When you said wrong direction, do you mean the right direction is to go opposite the tangential direction of the cutter blades? When putting a dovetail on aluminum, should the dovetail be cut in one pass or many passes? Should the cutting be lubed since I expect the lube to be thrown everywhere.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pyrotec---

I was making a joke, actually. What I meant was if instead of pulling the cutter outward and away from the work at the end of a pass, should it go the wrong way it makes a terrible crunching sound and little bitty teeth scatter in all directions.......along with the part you're making. Murphy determines how close to finished the job was depending on how mad he is at you. [Big Grin]

I'd cut aluminum about 75% of the distance conventional cut and and finish with two or three over-rides, BUT that depends entirely on how solid the machine and the setup is.

A-9 is a great cutting fluid. So is Simple Green soap.

My Gorton MasterMil will take about anything you feed it, but when it gags.....hoo boy!!

[ 05-15-2003, 02:56: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What dovetail? Are you going to make something for Weaver/Picatinney rings or maybe something for Kelbly/Jewell rings? They are different and I've made quite a few bases for Weaver style rings (Burris Z rings) and could give you some ideas on gaging, setups, etc.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use three diameter of dovetail cutters in my production work.

.359 x 60 from Brownells for sight dovetails.

1/2" x 60 for odds and ends, scope , express sight and whatever.

1 3/8" x 60 for the rear sights I make.

I by them in M42 HSS when possible, otherwise normal HSS. You have to remember to rough the core (center) of the dovetail out before using the dovetail cutter. RPM will be low for mild steel, most of the time I use the 650 RPM on my mill head.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote