Notify
Tools

SHR 970 or Schultz and Larsen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T3Shooter
posted
Hi,
I would appreciate informed (preferably first hand) opinions in regard to the above rifles. I am looking for reasonably priced (cheap Smiler ) travelling rifle.
Cheers

Ladies and gentlemen, when I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball. But we have to go forward, not backwards, upwards, not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the SHR 970 in 270 Winchester.

It is a good, well made, basic bolt action.

Shoots 1 inch groups with handloads, and 1.5 inch groups with factory loads (at 100 yards).

I disassemble it for traveling, but I don't remove the barrel from the action (just by taking the barreled action from the stock it fits into a short aluminium gun case in the bottom of my rolling suitcase).

I don't have anything bad to say.

I bought it for a different reason: all of my favorite rifles are wildcats....I figured I needed a few more standard caliber rifles.

I like my wildcats better.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO the SHR-970's are very good rifles. I have a 300 Win Mag that with carefully tuned handloads will shoot 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups and often better. Another friend of mine has 2 or 3 of them and has had equally good luck with them. The price on them has gone out of sight overseas. Check out the price they were paying for them in Germany a couple years ago....

Remember that the Euro is now about $1.40. The rifles we are buying for $500-$600 are going for $1500-$2000 over there!
But anyway if you can get one for under $600 I think it's hard to find a better takedown bolt action rifle. I don't particularly care for the shape of the synthetic stock but check with CDNN and they may have some inexpensive wood ones left. I think CDNN Investments might even still have some 270's or 280's in stock for a really good price, call info for their number in Abeline, Texas and ask for Jerry. He's found stuff for me the other Bozo's said they were out of at CDNN........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I bought a 970 in 270 for my boy's rifle. Nice, moa without much fuss (five shot). HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
970 in 270 for my boy's rifle. Nice, moa without much fuss (five shot). HTH, Dutch

Me too. Bought a 300 WinMag for my son and it's been a great rifle. He had a great 210 yard shot on a nice buck last year. He was kneeling with shooting stix.

I worked up a basic 30-06 velocity type load with 150 gr. Hornady spire points.

I/we have the synthetic/matte version. Not for everyone but my son likes the tactical look/feel.

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

What material is the floorplate/triggerguard made of and how is the trigger pull?

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
The floorplate is metal (blued), and is a detachable magazine.

The triggerguard is also blued metal....which alloy I don't know.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Gentlemen

What material is the floorplate/triggerguard made of and how is the trigger pull?

Cheers
/JOHAN

Trigger pull is crisp and fine. I didn't really adjust mine at all and it's fine for hunting purposes. It is adjustable by the user.

Roger

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T3Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It appears that SHR970 may be the one to get...
Cheers

Ladies and gentlemen, when I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball. But we have to go forward, not backwards, upwards, not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom!