New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Basix triggers for Rem. 700?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did a search of past posts and there seemed to be varying opinions on these triggers, going back almost 2 years.

Has the general consensus changed? Are there still problems with them not resetting? Has their customer service attitude changed?

One of the mail order supply houses has them on sale and I was thinking of replacing my factory trigger.

Current opinions?

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only relate my experience with a grand total of one sample of a Rifle Basix trigger I installed on a left hand Model 700 BDL.

I just could not get it to let off cleanly at anything under three pounds without it slam firing. I.e., if I set the sear adjustment to remove all creep it would drop the sear if you worked the bolt quickly. I do not mean slam it as hard as you can, but just work it like you would on that second shot when the deer is high-tailing it away. Even when the pull weight was set to over three pounds it would still slam fire.

When the sear engagement adjustment was set deep enough to avoid any slam firing there was noticeable creep.

I tried to send it back but they would not accept it. I told them a professional gunsmith (his work is known to me and he has over 30 years experience) had installed it and had tried to adjust it as well but could not get out the creep and prevent it from slam firing. They returned the trigger with a letter, part of which had unpleasant things to say about a lot of "so-called professional gunsmiths".

Maybe I just got a badly polished one, I don't know - like I said I only have this one example. But the lack of being able to return it soured me on them.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an LV-1 for sale right now that was in a varmint rifle for a year. I could never achieve a safe trigger in concert with a pull weight below 16 ounces. I believe this model is advertised down to 8 ounces.

I also had a professional gunsmith, Dale Storey, adjust the trigger with the same results.

I consider the RifleBasix trigger a good buy for the money and a definite improvement over the factory Remington trigger. I do not, however, feel their advertised range is accurate.

This LV-1 functions wonderfully when set at 16-20 oz. It will take a butt slam that would rattle your teeth without dropping the pin. Adjust it to 10-12 oz and the trigger is no longer field-safe, in my opinion.

I just upgraded to a Jewell and I really like the product. Damned expensive though. I still recommend the Rifle Basix for those who want to improve their trigger without spending a fortune.

I see the Rifle Basix as a medium priced improvement over the factory trigger.

Regards,

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
RR,

I've installed and used these triggers on a host of weapons including my own and have not had any problem that couldn't be overcome with a little tweaking which is the case with most aftermarket triggers. They usually come from the manufacturer having been set up by Lord knows who.

I've installed Jewell triggers which had their ghosts as well but after sorting through the factory settings, they were up and running fine.

Given time, you will hear negative remarks on damned near everything made. Rifle Basix is no different. I wouldn't have any heartburn using, and will continue to use these triggers as well as the Remington and some of the other triggers out there.

As far remarks coming from customer service departments go, I could write a book quoting odd and unfortunate comments coming from the mouths of company officials over the years. Most of customer service departments are staffed by folks who know the score, but as is the case with everything, you will eventually deal the 10% who are bad.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is NO customer service,period. NONE. I am easy going sort,honey works better than vinegar.I expect the odd mistake to slide by,I can't say I have never screwed up.But to get that response to a polite and honest problem,has me hammering these keys.BTW,that rifle is retired until I can afford a more reliable aftermarket trigger.Luckly I have a Winchester that shoots that same load almost as well.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
[Confused] I'm often confused when I see problems with a Remington trigger on a hunting rifle. Yes, aftermarket triggers are nice on very light pull varmint rifles. HOWEVER, when adjusted (and occasionally internally honed) right, they can be a delight. [Smile]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote