New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color Case hardening
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A recent attempt to use a local shop for color case hardening was not acceptable. I am restoring a Savage 1899 and need to get the lever CCH'ed. Recommendation of forum member who provide CCH services or the name of someone reliable who does good work at reasonable prices.
Does anyone know if the bolt on the 1899 (circa 1907) was also CCH'ed?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you consider reasonable, but have heard nothing but praises for Mr. Turnbull:

Turnbull Restorations

Have seen their finished guns and they are amazing!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull...agreed! Also; saw some nice examples from Michael J at DSC.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+3 on Turnbulls. I had a Cowboy Classic 45 colt done in the pre-war style. Beautiful.

A friend had a Miroku 1886 done by Wyoming Armoury. They would be my second choice.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Turnbull; he can process any type of steel including 4140 which is tricky to color without "case" hardening it and making it brittle.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Turnbull is fantastic ! Rem Rolling Block repro .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment Duane. Here are a few pictures of some of our color.

We of course have many other pictures if needed.
Thanks for looking.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
turnbull did a good job for me, but i wouldn't exactly call it reasonable

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt of any era Savage lever gun was not color case hardened. Always bright, or sometimes jeweled in later years.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Also, Turnbull has become more and more select on what actions his shop will accept. I guess they've had some warpage on a few and have winowed the list down accordingly.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Classic Guns, Crete, IL

http://www.classicgunsinc.com/

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michaelj did color case work for me and I highly recommend him.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote