Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Contour opinions for 38/55
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi all,

I'm looking to trim some weight off a 24" 375 barrel that will ultimately chambered in 38/55. I am going for the "Bolt action English stalking rifle" look, so I'm wanting a slim and trim appearance more than stout and stocky.

Right now, the barrel blank is .725" at the muzzle and .974" at the base of the barrel before it starts increasing. This distance is 20.5"

So how slim is too slim for a .375 barrel? For a front sight I think I will be going with just a ramp and not a banded sight if that makes a difference.

Anyway, wondering what peoples thoughts are on a .550" vs a .650" muzzle or some other size that appears to be a perfect compromise. I don't have anything handy here to wave around and figure out what might work best.

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much you wan it to weigh, and how heavy a muzzle you want. For a 38-55, any diameter you want it will work, but I would not go with a .550 muzzle. That will make it very muzzle light, but some like that. .650 will work.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll turn it to a .650 muzzle first and see how it looks and I can always make it smaller.

On a related note DPCD, do you ever bother reading your PM's or is my money not good enough for you? Smiler

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry; I wasn't ignoring you...I forgot....I know, lame excuse.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is one version of the original Mauser contour, which I sell, in 9.3mm mostly. I do not cut the rear sight band area unless the customer wants the band. Finished barrels don't have that step, as the band covers it; just in case you wondered.
Can't go wrong with the Mauser stepped design, although not used on an Enfield. But it could be...
Hei s using a #5 Enfield action.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I am so sorry; I wasn't ignoring you...I forgot....I know, lame excuse.

Hey if that is the only thing you've forgotten you are a heck of a lot better off than I am! Smiler

I got your PM and will contact you when all the little bits and pieces are starting to come together.