New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaming to Ack Imp
 Login/Join

<egolden>
posted
Could use a little help, will the chamber on a 7-08 Rem clean up by useing a 7-08 Ack Imp reamer, and not removing the barrel. It looks like it should if I use a 7-08 Ack Imp head space guage
Thanks Ed [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word, no... Your barrel will need to be set back a thread so when reamed "Ackley style" you can achieve the -.004 headspace. Then you will have the proper "crush fit" Ackely intended for standard ammo.

<egolden>
posted
Thanks for your help that is what I was thinking,I have a Buddy that just did that to a 260 and made it and Ack and is spliting cases I tryed to tell him that the head space was not right. Oh well I will pull the barrel and remove a lttle and re set head space

Thanks Ed

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Is the same process required regardless of rifle type? I am considering having a Ruger #1 in 7X57 "Improved".

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yes, it is handled the same in every case when making the improvment to a parent cartridge and most other versions as well.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Easier to rechamber it to .280 Rem, 7X64 or 7 mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Savage99, why would it be easier to go to those calibers?

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have to cut the barrel threads or shoulder back. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99

The 7mm-08 is usually based an a short action,the 280,7x64 & 7mmrm require a long action.

Besides you wouldn't get much performance increase in the 280 over the 7mm-08Ai If any at all,the other 2 might give you an increase in performance,if you need it,at the expense of more recoil,muzzle blast & more powder used.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My response was to Antlers. Rancher answered the orginal question.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm-08. All Ultralight actions are long, with a spacer in the magazine for short action based calibers like the 7mm-08.

Are you saying that it would be easy to chamber from the 7mm-08 to the .280. I have a $80 set of .280 dies and tons of brass and no 7mm-08 dies or brass. For almost the cost of the dies I could have the rifle rechambered to .280. If so, gives me something to think about.

Posts: 105 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote