New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assembling Sako bolt guide rib.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I stripped down my Sako Model 69L to reblue. I knew it would be hard to reassemble when I took it apart. Would some one give me some advice on how to get that guide rib back on the bolt.I have a pliers made to compress the collars on Mausers&Win Model 70,s. Its too big to compress the collar&still get the rib to snap over it. Plus the fact there are two collars that must be hooked up at the same time. I'm hopping some one has some trick to share with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy two cheap, small locking pliers. Make the jaws safe with soft shims of brass, copper or aluminum. Flattened .22 LR cases work well. Clamp the pliers on each collar, compress and lock on. Install rib.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has worked for me in the past, put the bolt with the collars in place in a padded vise so as to squeeze them closed and put the rib in place. With a small safe padded or phenolic faced hammer, tap the guide rib on. Make sure it is on the correct orientation,

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. Last night when I was sleeping I thought of using small vice grips to hold the collars so I could slip the rib on. I'm going to go out to the shop & try it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it; I used your method Jim. Works like a charm. Thank you very much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry.......

Does your guide rod have the cross-pin retainer......or the internal cupped clip?

If it is the cupped clip....it's correct orientation is critical, upon reassembly.

Just a note of caution.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has both of them. I got it together correct. Works fine.Now I have to work on the extractor. I chambered it for the 7PRC. The extractor won't hook & pull the shell out. I think I have to grind the front off some because it's hitting the front of the extractor groove.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting......as the factory never produced guide rods with both types of retainers.

Is it possible that someone has added the cross-pin?

Any pics?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote