New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tip Hump = problem solved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 1985 vintage .375 H&H Rem. Classic used to shoot 1 1/2" groups with WW factory 270 grain Powerpoints. I glass bedded the recoil lug and floated the barrel a few years back and accuracy went South. A 3 inch group was the best I could get and that usually wandered around a bit between groups. I recently noticed an article from a Nov. 2003 issue of RIFLE by John Barsness about Stock Bedding in which he reccommneded and described what he referred to as a tip-hump ...a promenant bump 2 inches or so from the end of the stock. This is what normally comes on a Remington Factory Stock. I followed his instructions and built a tip-hump into my old stock After sighting in, my first 3 shot group went into 1 1/4". I guess some barrels just have to have that upward pressure to deaden the barrle vibrations.
Next trip to the range I'll see how my old 300 gr Noslers handloaded with 78 grains of WW 760 group. I only have 6 full boxes of the power points left and WW doesn't make em anymore.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, every barrel's an individual, you can fine tune it by making the bump larger and smaller to change how much pressure is exerted on the barrel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote