New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore or rebarrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a mod 70 in 25-06 and want to change it to a 338-06. Which is better or easier, rebore or rebarrel? What other work can I expect to need done? Feedrails, boltwork?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pedersen rebored/rechambered for me a M70 in 30-06 to 9.3x64. Accurate and feeds as slick as the original. Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-barrel. Labor is to expensive to re-bore a factory barrel. If it had a built in rib or something that would be different.

Guys used to do this post WWII when labor was cheaper and tallent was in long supply. Today a good gunsmith or machinist is a rare bird. A guy who know how to make stuff is usually far along in years. Vocational schools are pretty much a thing of the past in the US. Therefore finding a young guy who can make a barrel from scratch is nearly impossible. Thus the short supply and high prices on re-boring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, if you have a known quantity, that is if the original barrel is a performer, then Danny's rebore will perform as well (if not better) and be half the price of putting on a new barrel. Tho I bet there are guys out there that install barrels for free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a mod 70 in 25-06 and want to change it to a 338-06. Which is better or easier, rebore or rebarrel? What other work can I expect to need done? Feedrails, boltwork?
Haven't tried reboring but if I ever get around to changing my 1903 pseudoscout from an 30'06 to a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 then reboring would save the scout mount on the barrel. In your case a simple barrel swap might be cheaper. In any case no rail or bolt work should be needed going from a 257 to a 338.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Dubell:
On the other hand, if you have a known quantity, that is if the original barrel is a performer, then Danny's rebore will perform as well (if not better) and be half the price of putting on a new barrel. Tho I bet there are guys out there that install barrels for free.

Your absolutely correct except for the pricing. A rebore by Danny or anybody else that does it will cost as much if not a touch more than a re-barrel. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, there are gunmakers that charge less for their time than I do in my shop, but our rebore including the bore work, chamber, crown, proof fire and re-mark caliber is $340. My labor to install a new barrel is $330 plus the cost of the barrel-Douglas @ $175 and up. Krieger and Hart out to $325 approx. Of course this does not include any feed work, but that would be required of either process (and usually does not come into play on that conversion, depending on the individual action)
I do not have Danny's prices in front of me but they run similar to ours.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Dubell:
As I mentioned, there are gunmakers that charge less for their time than I do in my shop, but our rebore including the bore work, chamber, crown, proof fire and re-mark caliber is $340. My labor to install a new barrel is $330 plus the cost of the barrel-Douglas @ $175 and up. Krieger and Hart out to $325 approx. Of course this does not include any feed work, but that would be required of either process (and usually does not come into play on that conversion, depending on the individual action)
I do not have Danny's prices in front of me but they run similar to ours.

Seems a little high to me but then again I don't do it for a living I just do my own stuff. You are certainly allowed to make a fair profit for your labors and I stand corrected.
Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
These are Dan Pederson's current charges per his website. I see that costs LESS than a new barrel, even if you have to have the barrel set back before rechambering.

http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html

(up to 4 calibers larger) Example .22 to .270 or .308 to 9.3 Larger changes add $5.00 per caliber.

Rebore/rerifle barrel only $220
Rebore/rerifle/rechamber w/o setback $295
Rebore/rerifle/rechamber with setback (Ack. Imp.conversions) $320

Every rebore job I've owned or seen has been as satisfactory as a rebarreling job, EXCEPT for the time the gun was in the hands of the rebore guy. It took 18 months to get my .450 Alaskan Model 71 Win. back!

(BTW, I believe Pederson is a relatively young person, not one of us super-annuated types like General Winfield Scott!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the cost issue...I checked on the PAC-NOR site and they charge $180 for barrel, $250 for chambering and fitting. That is $430. Then you add in the cost of drilling and tapping, probabaly about $90, and then bluing and you will probably be about twice the cost of a rebore Also if there is a non standard contour, you either have to inlet and/or glass bed along with the cost of "custom contour". I have a 460 Wthby on a magnum mauser that I am thinking of sending to Cutrifle and haveing rebored to 510 Wells. Just my opinion.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote