THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rings/Bases for .338 WM M70 & Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rings/Bases for .338 WM M70 & Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36?
 Login/Join

Picture of Matt T
posted
I'm getting a Winchester Model 70 in .338 WM, and I want to put a VX-III 2.5-8x36 on it with Leupold QD bases and rings. From reading alot of old threads, I'm kind of getting concerned that it won't fit though. Anyone have this same set up? If you've got the same rifle/scope, and used different rings/bases, which brand did you use? My rifle is SS, and I want SS bases and rings as well. Thanks for the help

Posts: 10 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you have to use eiher reversable bases or extension rings with that scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5-8 on my pre-64 M70 (which is a shorter action) with talley mounts and if the scope was a hair shorter it would not fit. However Leupold says it will work on their ring/base selector.

bases/rings

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the non-offset LEU ring base combo because Leupold said it would fit w/ that scope, but it did not. I had a gunsmith machine a small amount off the outside surface of the front and rear rings then it just squeeked by and worked.

Gary

Picture of Matt T
posted Hide Post
What height rings did y'all use?

Posts: 10 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Matt, the first thing you need to determine is if the scopemounting holes in the receive are in close alignment with the bore of the rifle. If they aren't, you'll need scope based with windage screws. If you don't takle the problem in this manner, you'll create your own parallax problem that'll cause bullet placement issues downrange. You want to keep your scope's internal adjestment range as close to center as you possibly can to final zero.

For many years, I has a set of Leupold STD mounts (one-piece base w/windage screws) on my old custom 300 Win. Mag., and that rifle wore a Leupold 2.5-8X as well. It worked perfectly, without a hitch.........

AD

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle you do and used Warne Premier QD rings and bases. It is hard to find Premier rings anymore but they are available from time to time on Ebay and even here occasionaly. The bases are available from Brownells. I used medium rings and a Leupold VX II 3x9x40 and it all fit just fine.

Here is a pic of the rings I used.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a 338 SSm70 myself. As GaryVA stated ,you can fit Leupold QR bases and rings(low)with the 2.5-8x, or use the Dual dovetail version.
It is Best to machine the front of the front ring and the rear of the rear ring with a chamfer(tapered inside edge)Because the scope tube is 130mm but the distance between the rings is 132mm.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple with the QRW bases and rings with that same scope and it works just fine. Don't know about the QD model but I can't imagine why they wouldn't work.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote